Accessible Learning for Current Students

After your initial registration with the Centre for Accessible Learning, you can connect with our staff for follow-up to discuss your academic accommodations or any academic access issues.  

Ongoing support

After your intake appointment with an Instructor, Centre for Accessible Learning, they and other centre staff can help you with:

  • academic accommodations
  • referrals to advising for exploring reduced course load study options
  • course material in alternative format for students with print-based disabilities (electronic text)
  • liaison with course instructors
  • funding options for education, services and equipment
  • assistive technology

Your responsibilities

If you are registered with CAL, as early as possible each semester please follow the instructions on the Academic Accommodations for Exams to communicate your accommodations to your course instructors and to book any accommodated tests or exams. 

Supports are determined on an individual basis, so as a person with a disability, your voice and knowledge of what works for you is integral to the process of considering and setting up your accommodations.  You play an important role in academic accommodations by being part of this dynamic and consultative process guided by key concepts, key content and some limitations

Connecting with your course instructors shortly after you have shared your letter of academic accommodation (as early as possible at the beginning of the term, if possible) will provide an opportunity to discuss the content, structure and expectations of the course as they relate to your academic accommodations. Connecting in with your instructor(s) gives you both a good opportunity to consider how the term might work and any contingency plans that may be needed.  You are not required to disclose the nature of your disability to your course instructor(s), just what academic accommodations you need.

CAL has developed a helpful guide for students registered with CAL about responsibilities and roles.  We highly recommend you read this and share with your supporters.  It discusses the responsibilities of students, CAL and course instructors when there are academic accommodations. 

The Centre for Accessible Learning works with CAPER-BC and other providers to convert textbooks, course-packs and other course materials into accessible electronic format. Submit your requests for accessible materials as soon as you know what course materials will be required. Advance notice is required as we receive many requests for texts in alternative format and processing time is significant. Requests or questions about alternate format or accessible technology should be directed to

Deaf and hard-of-hearing students requiring support for interpreters, transcribers or FM systems should contact Beth Kope. All interpreters and transcribers are hired and assigned based on their experience, education and availability. Please submit requests for these services with as much advanced notice as possible as scheduling service providers takes considerable time.


Grant funding is available to eligible students with disabilities through their province of permanent residency (StudentAid BC or other provincial student loan ministry).

  • If you are a first time student interested in finding out more about this funding, make a phone appointment with your CAL Instructor.  Your Instructor can describe eligibility requirements and may provide you with a referral to the college’s Financial Aid office.
  • If you are a student who has received students with disabilities grant funding for services and/or equipment in the past and you wish to do so again, contact

In addition to programs that assist with the costs of books and tuition, there are those that provide funding for exceptional educational costs including accessibility hardware and software (including computers), tutors, interpreters, note-sharers, etc.

"The staff helped me find the courage and incentive to follow through on my course."

- Tracey, Camosun student

a diverse group of students studies for an English assessment test