The number one barrier to studying abroad is financial. With the right planning and motivation, you can afford it. Savings, student loans, scholarships, and fundraising are excellent options to finance your study abroad experience.
Study abroad scholarship opportunities
One World International Scholarships $2,000-$5,000
The BC Scholarship Society offers these scholarships to support outgoing study abroad students.
- Outgoing Exchange, Field School, Partner Short-Term Program and International Co-op/Internship students
- February 1, March 1, May 1, August 1, November 1, December 1
Camosun International office
ATTN: Study Abroad
Premier's International Scholarship $8,000-$12,000
The BC Scholarship Society offers this scholarship to support outgoing study abroad students.
- April 20, 2023 at 4:30pm
You may qualify for a BC student loan. There is a specific process for study abroad students who would like to receive financial aid, so please contact Financial Aid & Awards directly.
Budgeting resources & tips
Understand the costs of studying abroad and start saving today. Have a back-up plan and budget higher than expected to plan for emergencies and last-minute trips. Here are some additional tips and resources to help you get started:
- Budget worksheet. This worksheet is specific to exchange students but can be a good reference point for other programs.
- Currency converter. Know the currency conversion to get a better understanding of costs.
- Lonely Planet. Search your destination country on the Lonely Planet website. You can find information on money and costs, getting around, and more.
- Exchange student reports. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for reports from past exchange students, which includes an overview of their monthly budget.
- International students on campus. Camosun hosts students from all around the world, including incoming students from our partner institutions. We can connect you with them to learn more about their country, expected costs, and more.
- Fundraising and gifts. Your friends and family want to help you! Consider using online fundraising programs like GoFundMe, YouCaring, and GoGetFunding. For special occasions, request monetary gifts. Be creative and don’t forget to say "thank you" with a postcard or souvenir from abroad.