Program at a glance
Area of Study
Trades & Apprenticeship
Open to International
5-10 weeks depending on trade
At a glance image
Get a job, then go to school
Start dates vary!
An apprenticeship is a two-way agreement between you and your employer/sponsor to provide you with appropriate opportunities to become fully competent in the trade of your choice. Your on-the-job training is supplemented with technical training in a classroom or shop setting.
Two ways to get started in Trades
Technical training for registered apprentices
If you are currently employed as an apprentice, you can get your required technical training at Camosun. Depending on which trade you've chosen, you'll be in school for five to 10 weeks in each year of your apprenticeship.
Our instructors are certified and experienced in their fields and are passionate about sharing that knowledge. While at Camosun you will develop your skills in communication, critical thinking, problem-solving, mathematics, and safe work practices.
Camosun offers apprenticeship training in a wide variety of trades, including 12 trades with the Interprovincial Red Seal endorsement. Successful completion of all levels leads to the BC Certificate of Qualification.
Foundation & pre-employment programs
Foundation and pre-employment certificate programs combine in-class learning with hands-on practical skills, making you well-positioned to begin an apprenticeship.
When you graduate you'll also receive an equivalent credit for Level 1 technical training as well as some of the required work-based training hours.
As an apprentice, you’ll spend about 80% of your time on the job, so you earn while you learn. In addition to that practical experience, you also need to sign up for a few weeks of in-school technical training each year. Practical work hours and technical training are both required to achieve your full trade qualification.
Direct Entry Apprenticeship programs
The following lists the technical training offered at Camosun. Approx. cost per level.
- Carpenter - Red Seal - 7 weeks - $663
- Construction Craft Worker - Red Seal - 4 weeks - $663
- Electrician - Red Seal - 10 weeks - $1,071
- Metal Fabricator - Red Seal - 6 or 7 weeks - $561
- Sheet Metal Worker - Red Seal - 6 or 8 weeks - $663
- Welder - Red Seal - 8 or 10 weeks - $867
Motor Vehicle Trades
- Automotive Service Technician - Red Seal - 7 weeks - $663
- Diesel Engine Mechanic - Red Seal - 8 to 10 weeks - $765
- Heavy Duty Equipment Technician - Red Seal - 4 to 10 weeks
- Transport Trailer Technician - Red Seal - 4 to 10 weeks
- Truck and Transport Mechanic - Red Seal - 4 to 10 weeks
Plumbing & Pipe Trades
- Domestic/Commercial Gas Fitter - BC Certificate of Qualification - 6 weeks - $663
- Plumber - Red Seal - 6 to 8 weeks - $663
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanic - Red Seal - 6 to 10 weeks - $663
- Sprinkler Fitter - Red Seal - 6 weeks - $663
- Steam/Pipe Fitter - Red Seal - 6 to 8 weeks - 663
- Professional Cook 1 - BC Certificate of Qualification - 6 weeks - $663
- Professional Cook 2 - BC Certificate of Qualification - 6 weeks - $663
- Professional Cook 3 - Red Seal - 6 weeks - $663
Program standards for each trade's required training are set by the Industry Training Authority (ITA).
Curriculum & courses
Trades Apprenticeship Schedule
Register for Apprenticeship Technical Training
Ready to get started at Vancouver Island's largest provider of trades training? Camosun accepts applications to apprenticeship technical training programs year-round.
All trades programs have a mandatory attendance requirement. If you miss three days in an apprenticeship class, you’ll be required to withdraw from the course. In exceptional cases, the Chair may recommend an exemption to this policy. The final decision on withdrawal from a program will rest with the Dean. You are ultimately responsible for your own learning and for meeting the requirements of the program. You are encouraged to communicate issues concerning your program with your instructor or Program Chair.
Camosun College is fiercely proud of the excellent quality of its instruction. Our teaching staff are experienced, inspiring and supportive of our students' individual journeys.
Chair, Motor Vehicle and Metal Trades
Chair, Plumbing and Pipe Trades; Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
Albert van Akker
Chair, Architectural Trades and Carpentry Program Leader