Sexual Violence Misconduct Procedures and Processes

The Student Support Manager is responsible for providing support to any student in a timely manner, under the Sexual Violence and Misconduct Policy. This overview shows the processes and services available to any student, in the order in which they normally occur.

Get urgent support now  Quick exit to Google

Related Policies:

Sexual Violence Policy  Misconduct Policy

Sample Process

A flowchart outlining the process of disclosing an act of sexual violence



Disclosure is the point at which a student makes it known to a Camosun employee, that they have experienced or witnessed sexual violence or misconduct. Camosun employees are required to report all disclosures to the Office of Student Support. Camosun faculty and staff members are responsible for letting students know what supports are available to them, including: the Student Support Manager, the Counselling Centre and Campus Security.

Medical attention and safety

The person receiving the disclosure determines whether the student requires emergency medical attention, and confirms that they are safe. They refer the student to the appropriate urgent service and notify the appropriate personnel accordingly.

Referral for support and information

Any Camosun employee receiving the disclosure will provide the student information to contact support through the Office of Student Support, the Counselling Centre, or the Ombudsperson .

The Office of Student Support will provide non-judgemental and trauma-informed support to assist the student with their needs.  The student will be provided information about different options for ongoing support and resolution of the situation. The student chooses which support is best suited to their situation. Together, they discuss whether academic accommodations are needed. Students’ concerns and choices will be supported in a confidential,respectful, and compassionate manner.

Options for resolution:

Under the Camosun Sexual Violence and Misconduct Policy, the student can choose from the following options, in seeking a resolution to their situation.

Receive support and/or accommodation,

but make no report to the college

If you have experienced or witnessed sexual misconduct, you can receive support from the college.

  • In this option, you choose not to make a formal report to the college describing their situation.
  • You can receive the services of the Office of Student Support, counselling or other supports and accommodations as necessary.

Make a report to the college

A Student who has experienced sexual misconduct can choose to make a report to the college by contacting a Student Support Manager in the Office of Student Support. A report may be made in writing by e-mail or letter or in-person to the Office of Student Support.



Phone: 250-370-3311

A Report to the College may be made at any time.

Upon receipt of a Report, the matter will be referred to the Director of Student Affairs to determine

whether the subject matter of the Report falls within this Policy, and whether to initiate an


Report to the police

If you have experienced sexual violence or misconduct, you may choose to make a report to the police, requesting that the police pursue criminal charges under the Criminal Code of Canada.

  • The police will take your statement, investigate the matter, and determine if there is enough evidence to lay charges. The police and the Crown will require your participation in what can become a public process. It is not guaranteed that the perpetrator will face charges or be found guilty.
  • A student choosing to pursue this option can access support from the Office of Student Support, the Counselling Department, or Campus Security.
  • The college will cooperate with any criminal investigation.

Withdrawing a report

The person who has submitted a report may withdraw a report at any time. The College understands that individuals who have experienced or been affected by sexual misconduct may wish to control if and how their experience will be responded to by police and/or the College. A person who has experienced sexual misconduct may choose not to request an investigation or to request that an investigation not occur. In certain circumstances however, if the College has assessed that the safety of other members of the college community is at risk, the college may initiate or continue an investigation and/or inform the police of a matter


Students who wish to file a dispute about the outcome of an investigation process must submit the appeal to the Vice President, Student Experience within ten (10) working days of being informed of the outcome. The appeal will be reviewed in accordance with the processes outlined in the Sexual Violence and Misconduct Procedures E-2.9.2

Sample Process

View the Full PDF version here