Register for Credit Courses - Course Selection

You may be looking ahead to many years of education, but you only need to register one semester at a time.

Steps to registration

You'll use the myCamosun student portal to register for classes.

Choosing courses

Make a list of the required and elective courses for your program.

Not sure what courses to take?

Organize your list

  • Timetable the courses that have the fewest sections offered first.
  • Make a note of the campus location and make sure if you have to travel between campuses you leave yourself enough time
  • Be sure course times do not overlap.
  • Take time to think about your schedule. Don't sign up for too many courses, especially if you're working.

Meet requirements

  • Make sure your selected courses will meet the requirements for graduation. Contact Academic Advising for help with course planning.
  • For loan and grant funds, students are required to be enrolled in a full course load. If you are receiving financial assistance, please speak to a Financial Aid Advisor before making registration changes.

Choose electives

  • If you have a choice of classes, choose electives carefully: How much work will they be? Do they work for your program? Do they interest you—you'll be more successful in classes you enjoy!
  • Getting good grades is important especially if you're planning to transfer to another institution or trying to get into another Camosun program. Commit to attending class and using the supports available:

Prerequisites and corequisites

Make sure you have met the prerequisites and corequisites for each course and the Registration office has proof on file for each course prior to registration.


Courses you need to take before registration into your desired course. Course prerequisites require a minimum grade of "C" unless otherwise noted. If you don't have the prerequisites for a course, you will be automatically withdrawn from that course.


Courses you need to take at the same time as your desired course. On myCamosun, you must register for corequisites before signing up for other courses. If you withdraw from a co-requisite, you must also withdraw from the related course.

Prerequisite waivers

If you don't have a prerequisite for a course but you believe you have the equivalent level, you can contact the Department Chair to request a prerequisite waiver. If approved, the Chair or designate will provide you with a signed Prerequisite Waiver form to present to the Registration department.

Course prerequisite waivers are course and term-specific. They do not provide entry to other courses with the same prerequisite or to the same course in a different term.

Prior learning assessment

You may be able to earn credit for what you already know!

At Camosun, we recognize that learning which some students acquire from their life and work experiences may be equivalent to college-level learning. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is a process whereby students may receive credit(s) for learning acquired in formal and in informal situations.


Course conflicts

If you would like to take two courses* that have times that overlap, you need to get permission from both instructors:

  1. Download an Authorization to Course Conflict or pick up the form at the Registration Department.
  2. Both instructors of the conflicting courses must sign the form to authorize you to register for the two courses.
  3. Submit the form to the Registration Department at either campus. You will be enrolled in the courses only if space is available.

*Lectures and their scheduled labs are considered to be a single course. So if you're thinking about changing your lab time, you need to have an Authorization to Course Conflict signed by the instructors.

myCamosun timetable definitions


A particular subject (e.g. ENGL 151)             


A 3-5 digit number listed after the course number (e.g. ENGL 151 001). Some section numbers have special identifiers.

  • X The section is restricted to students in specific programs (e.g. ENGL 151 X01);
  • 00 If "00" are the first two digits (e.g. ENGL 151 001), this indicates either: an open section, or, a reserved (RSVD) section which will become open to anyone who has the prerequisites on the date indicated on the comment line;
  • IE  "IE" at the end of the section number indicates that the section is reserved for International Education students (e.g. ENGL 151 001IE);
  • B The section is delivered through a combination of blended, in-class and online instruction (e.g. ENGL 151 B01);
  • D The section is delivered entirely online via distance education (e.g. ENGL 151 D01);
  • A self-paced course (e.g. ENGL 032 S01);
  • BS  A section that is blended self-paced, delivered through a combination of self-paced in-class and online instruction (e.g. ENGL 151 BS01)


Courses are scheduled at both campuses, as well as online and off-campus. Be sure to note the location of your courses.

  • Online: no set meeting schedule (asynchronous)
  • Online: online scheduled dates/times (synchronous); if applicable, a room provided for virtual remote
  • Blended: on-campus and online; location listed as campus-blended; scheduled dates/times with
  • on-campus showing bldgs/rooms
  • On-Campus: location listed as campus; scheduled dates/times/bldgs/rooms


The term the course is offered. For example, 2021F is Fall, 2021W is Winter and 2021S is Summer. 


See campus maps for a complete list of codes to campus buildings.


Scheduled class days.


The total number of seats available, the total capacity of a class and the number of students on the waitlist.

Comment Line 

The line(s) of notes following the Section Name and Title of a course section indicate reserves, restrictions, or special circumstances pertaining to that course section.

Contact information

Registration Department

Need help?

250-370-3550 #3