Program at a glance
Area of Study
Sport & Exercise
Open to International
Four or two years
At a glance image
Cutting-edge applied learning for future leaders in Sport Management
The Bachelor of Sport Management is a dynamic applied degree program that prepares graduates to work in the sport management industry.
The Centre for Sport & Exercise Education offers innovative programing in the areas of Sport Management, Exercise & Wellness, Kinesiology, Athletic & Exercise Therapy, Massage Therapy and Adventure Leadership. As a Sport Management student, you will become an integral part of the Centre for Sport & Exercise Education (CSEE).
Is Sport Management right for you?
Graduates of this leading-edge program are analytical and strategic thinkers who have the requisite skills and knowledge to lead and manage in a variety of sport industry contexts. This program will prepare you to practice professionally, responsibly and ethically in the sport management industry and integrate management, business, sport science, and socio-cultural knowledge into the role of the sport manager. If you're passionate about sport, Camosun's Sport Management programs could be right for you.
This degree is the only one of its kind in Western Canada!
Combining business, marketing and leading-edge sport management knowledge and skills, our applied degree prepares graduates to become industry leaders.
Internships and Volunteering
You will be given the opportunity to put your skills to work in the real world with internship and capstone learning experiences throughout your program. This is a great way to explore career opportunities in the sport management field and gain valuable experience to increase your employability. Some of our students have done their internships with Canadian Sport Institute or Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence here on campus and a number of sport organizations in the greater Victoria area including the Victoria Royals, Pacific FC, Rugby Canada, Triathlon Canada and more! Find out about Sport Management Internship and Volunteering opportunities from our Co-operative Education and Career Services office.
Camosun has previously offered exchanges and field study opportunities that combine learning with exploring a new country and culture. Our students have participated in exchanges to Wales, Czech Republic, Netherlands and several other countries.
For more information, please check out Camosun's study abroad opportunities.
If you are an international student, please check out Camosun International.
Graduates of this program are prepared for careers in sport related business, leadership, event, program and project development and management positions in not-for-profit, corporate and community sports environments.
Advanced Degree Opportunities
Graduates of the Bachelor of Sport Management Degree may also pursue graduate studies in a variety of post-secondary institutions. Some of our graduates have gone on to other universities such as:
- University of Victoria: Masters programs
- California State University, Long Beach: Masters of Sport Management
Find out more about upcoming networking and information sessions occurring at Camosun.
Invest in yourself!
Applied strategic and organizational planning skills, along with the ability to develop professional relationships within the sport and business community, enable graduates to lead and manage in sport environments, provincially, nationally and globally.
Diploma with Internship designation: $8,682
Diploma International: $29,680**
Diploma with Internship designation International: $31,210**
Bachelor's Degree: $16,540
Bachelor's Degree with Internship designation: $17,297
Bachelor's Degree International: $59,360**
Bachelor's Degree with Internship designation International: $60,890
Effective from September 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021.
*Tuition fees vary depending on course selection. Figures listed here are approximate.
**Tuition is based on 5 academic courses
Management Skills for the Business of Sport
Applied learning focused on management; event and program design, delivery and assessment; facility and resource management; organizational leadership; athlete and coach development; and sport as a vehicle for change.
What to expect
In year one of the program you will build a solid foundation of business and sport management theory and skills with topics such as: Business Communications; Information Technology; Leadership & Organization of Sport; and The Business of Sport. In year two you will take a deeper dive into topics such as: Accounting; Law; Marketing; Adapted Sport and Physical Activity; Coaching; Facility Operations and Event Management with the option of an Internship. After completion of all courses in the first two years, you can exit with a diploma and/or continue into your third and fourth year of study to complete your degree.
In your third year you will continue developing analytical and relationship-building skills while strengthening your strategic and organizational planning skills with topics such as: Leadership in Sport; HR Management; Entrepreneurship; The Economics of Sport and Partnership and Stakeholder Management. In your fourth year you will integrate management, business, sport and socio-cultural knowledge that will prepare you to lead and manage in a variety of sport environments with topics such as: Media and Public Relations; Sport Analytics; Organizational Behaviour; Sport Law; Events & Major Games; Sport Marketing and Program management; and more internship opportunities. After completion of all courses from first year through fourth year, you will be eligible to graduate with the Bachelor of Sport Management Degree.
Still in high school?
Curriculum & courses
What kind of applicant are you?
Camosun has three different applicant categories:
- Current BC/Yukon High School Student
To apply, you will need to submit proof that you meet the following admission requirements.
Tip: Where a letter grade is specified, you must have proof of that grade or higher.
High school course:
- C in English 12
- C in English Studies 12
- C in English 12 First Peoples
- Non-BC high school
Program Participation Requirements
Once you have been accepted into a specific program, you must meet the program participation requirements by the deadlines given in order to continue in your program.
For academic requirements, please see Camosun's upgrading and assessment options.
- Math: Some courses in this program require Math 11 or equivalent as a prerequisite. Students may enter this program without Math, but must complete one of the Math courses listed below or successfully complete Camosun’s Math assessment in or before their first semester of study.
- C in Pre-Calculus 11
- C in Foundations of Math 11
- C+ in MATH 072
- C in MATH 073
- C+ in MATH 075
- C in MATH 077
- C+ in MATH 135
- C in MATH 137
- English: ENGL 151 requires English 12 with a C+ or higher as a prerequisite. Students may enter this program with a C in English 12, but must meet the prerequisites for ENGL 151 prior to taking this required course.
- Criminal Record Check: During this program, you may be working with children and/or vulnerable adults. In order to participate in work integrated learning experiences, such as a practicum or work term, you will need to complete a criminal record check through the Ministry of Public Safety & Solicitor General for Camosun College. Camosun will email you with information on how to complete the Criminal Record Check (CRC) process. You are responsible for all associated costs.
Our Teaching Staff
Camosun College is proud of the excellent quality of its instruction. Our teaching staff are experienced, inspiring and supportive of our students' individual journeys.
- Over 30 years’ international experience as educator, sport administrator and Olympic Committee member
- Professor Emeritus, and former Faculty member at University of British Columbia (Faculty of Education)
- Adjunct Faculty member at Simon Fraser University, and a consultant in sport and education focusing on China, Hong Kong, and the Middle East
- Designated Visiting Professor at Hong Kong Baptist University and Rennin University of China
- Specializes in curriculum development, instruction and coaching effectiveness, and Olympic Studies
- Supervised student teachers and course instructor (at graduate and undergraduate levels) with teacher training program at UBC
- Past-President Canada Basketball; Chef de Mission Pan American Games; Administrator 6 Olympic Games, 5 World Championships and FISU Games
- Graduate of the University of Windsor’s Sport Management Masters program
- Extensive leadership experience as a sport, recreation and health instructor, manager and coach in various communities across Canada, including Red Deer, Grande Prairie, Prince George, Windsor and Saskatoon
- Interests encompass coaching and participating in all sports and activities, including golf, motorcycling, football, basketball, cycling, and outdoor pursuits
- Academic interests include encouraging and promoting agency of change principles to develop sport for life and for all
- 20 years of experience in basketball at various levels, including grassroots, high school, college and university
- Past University of Saskatchewan Huskie, and Thompson Rivers University Wolfpack basketball player
- Former Head Coach of Red Deer College Queens, and Assistant Coach of Grande Prairie Wolves in the CCAA
Learn more about specific admission requirements for this program.