English is the primary language of instruction at Camosun College, and all prospective students are required to demonstrate a minimum level of English before they’re admitted.
English proficiency levels
Admission to most academic programs is based on meeting one of the following English proficiency requirements:
- Completion of BC High School Grade 12 English with a C+ or better
- Recognized Pathway Partner Certificate
- External Assessment
You can also apply for English upgrading at Camosun in order to meet English proficiency requirement for program admission.
Scores must be from within the past two years.
For TOEFL we require an original document from ETS to Camosun College: Destination (DI) Code: 7527
For Duolingo English Test (DET) we require the results to be sent electronically to us directly from Duolingo site. Please see the instructions on how to send your Duolingo English Test results to Camosun College.
For Cambridge Assessment of English, we require the results to be shared with us through Cambridge English site. Please share your results with Camosun College through Candidate Website.
- IELTS (Academic) score of 6.0 overall (no sub-score less than 6.0)
- TOEFL iBT score of 78 overall (no sub-score less than 19)
- PTE Academic or PTE Academic Online score of 54 overall (no sub-score less than 50)
- Cambridge Assessment of English: C1 Advanced score of 174 overall (no sub-score less than 169)
- CAEL CE score of 60 overall (no sub-score less than 60)
- GTEC CBT score of 1200 overall (minimum sub-scores: Reading 325, Writing 270, Speaking 260, Listening 335)
- Duolingo English Test (DET) score of 105 for General Admission to most Certificate and Diploma programs, and Bachelor of Business Administration programs (exceptions: Nursing and certain other Health-related programs). Score of 115 for admission to Post-Degree programs (all majors) and Degree programs offered by Centre for Sport and Exercise Education.
Note: Applicants from countries where Student Direct Stream (SDS) is available must meet corresponding SDS criteria in addition to Camosun admission requirements.
Alternative English Proficiency
Applicants educated in one of the countries from the following dropdown list, please check with International Admissions if there are alternative ways to meet the English proficiency requirement:
Program-Specific English Requirements
Some programs or courses, particularly in the Health and Human Services area, may require a higher score for entry or might not accept certain External Assessments due to the nature of these programs and/or regulatory requirements. Please see each individual program page for details or contact International Admissions team.