Program at a glance
Area of Study
Technologies & Engineering
Trades & Apprenticeship
Open to International
12 to 16 weeks
At a glance image
Begin your Career at Sea!
The Bridge Watch Rating gets you the skills to start a nautical career aboard commercial vessels.
Indigenous people and women are invited to participate in the fully-funded Bridge Watch Rating program to learn and enhance seamanship skills, earn nationally-recognized certifications, and embark upon an exciting, entry-level career in the Marine industry. Hear from experienced sailors, take field trips, practice hands-on techniques, and undertake a practicum at sea. Marine-based employers are excited to hire our graduates!
Supported by Transport Canada and OPP (Oceans Protection Plan), and via a partnership with BCIT, Camosun’s Bridge Watch Rating program provides a pathway for you to enter into rewarding marine sector careers. You’ll learn the essential knowledge and skills related to the practice of seamanship, navigation, standards of safe working procedures, and the hazards associated with the marine environment.
Train on a Variety of Marine Vessels
The program is designed to provide entry-level personnel with base-level knowledge of seamanship to prepare for a career at sea with:
- BC Ferries
- Canadian Coast Guard
- local tug operators
- cruise ships
- deep-sea vessels, and more.
In addition to working on commercial vessels, career opportunities exist for:
- water-based ecotourism
- commercial fishing
- sport fishing
- other recreational marine guiding roles
Get the Skills You Need to Begin a Career at Sea
Training covers the hands-on skills and coursework required by Transport Canada for employment. Over 12 to 16-weeks (depending on electives) this full-time program is based on three modular courses designed to prepare you for a career in the marine industry.
Gain hands-on skills and knowledge in:
- Keeping a lookout
- Steering the vessel
- Operating communication systems
- Anchoring and mooring
- Responding to emergencies
- Basic environmental protection procedures
- Assisting in cargo operations
- Handling ropes and chains
Earn Nationally Recognized Training Certificates
- Camosun Bridge Watch Rating Completion Certificate
- Transport Canada Bridge Watch Rating Training Certificate
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS 2015)
- Restricted Operator’s Certificate – Maritime Commercial (ROC – MC)
- Marine Basic First Aid Certificate (MBFA)
- STCW Basic Safety Training (BST)
- STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft (PSC)
Curriculum & courses
- All tuition and ancillary fees, bus pass and course materials are provided.
- Students attending from out-of-town will receive accommodation and meals for the time that they are away from their homes.
Multiple start dates are available throughout the year. The course will be offered at Camosun College in Victoria, as well as on-site in various Vancouver Island communities. Contact BridgeWatchRating@camosun.ca for more details on dates, locations, and entrance requirements, or to apply for the Bridge Watch Rating program.
Class Hours: 0830 – 1530, Monday - Friday
Our Teaching Staff
Camosun College is fiercely proud of the excellent quality of its instruction. Our teaching staff are experienced, inspiring and supportive of our students’ individual journeys.
Chair, Instructor, Mechanical Engineering Dept.
A career at sea!
Get the skills to start a nautical career aboard commercial vessels.