Questions and Answers about the post-graduation work permit

Please find most popular questions with answers about the post-graduation work permit (PGWP) below.

More information about PGWP is available on the post-graduation work permit page.

Am I eligible to apply for PGWP?

You can apply for PGWP if you were a full-time student at Camosun and completed a certificate, diploma or degree which was 8 months or longer. See the IRCC’s PGWP eligibility criteria on the Government of Canada website.

Until when I can apply for PGWP?

You must submit your PGWP application within 180 days after graduating.
Graduating here means receiving the confirmation that your credential or graduation/completion of studies letter has been issued. It does not mean attending the graduation ceremony.

Can I work before I apply for PGWP?

If you were eligible to work off campus during your final semester of studies then you could continue your part-time work until you graduate.

When should I stop working?

You must stop working once you are notified that your credential OR graduation letter/completion of studies letter is issued.

When can I start working full time?

You can start working full-time if you meet both of the following:

  • If you submitted you PGWP application while your study permit was valid
  • If you were eligible to work-off campus during your final semester of studies

When does the study permit expire?

Your study permit will expire on the date marked on the permit or 90 days after the day you complete your studies, whichever comes first. Consult the Government of Canada website for details.

Notes and Tips:

You may calculate the days using various online tools. Make sure to add the end date in calculation.

Your study permit is valid until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the expiry date on study permit or until 11:59 PM on the 90th day of completing studies.

  • Do not wait until the last day to submit your application. You must submit is as soon as you can as you can because you cannot control the situation if there are any glitches on the IRCC website or if you face connectivity issues, etc.
  • You could complete the PGWP application online and fill the forms while you are waiting to receive supporting documents from Camosun. It will save you time and you could submit your application as soon as your documents are issued.

I applied for PGWP while I had maintained status for study permit. Can I start working full-time after submitting my PGWP application?

No, students who apply for PGWP while they have maintained status could not start working full-time until they get their PGWP. They must also stop working part-time once they finish their studies.

What is maintained status (formerly implied status)?

If you have applied for a new immigration status but it won’t arrive before your current status expires, you may still be able to stay, study, and/or work in Canada during this time. This is called ‘maintained status.’ Maintained status breaks if you travel outside of Canada.

I did not apply for PGWP within 90 days of graduation or before expiry of my study permit. Can I stay in Canada?

If you could not apply for PGWP while your study permit was valid then you are not allowed to stay in Canada legally. You must:

What documents do I need to apply for PGWP?

To apply for PGWP, you will need:

  • Letter of Completion – Issued by Camosun International. Please proceed to the letter request form to apply.
  • Official Transcript – Issued by Student Records. Please see more information on how to order an official transcripts on the Transcripts page.

Are Letter of Completion/Graduation and official transcript issued automatically?

No, to receive these documents, you must first “Apply to Graduate” and request your credential (parchment) through myCamosun during your last semester of your program. This will enable Camosun International to issue your Letter of Completion/Graduation as soon as your final grades are announced.

Note: You must apply separately for your credential (apply to graduate), official transcript (online request), and Letter of Completion/Graduation.

I forgot to submit some documents with my PGWP application. Can I submit the documents to IRCC now?

If you forgot to submit any documents with your application, then you could send those to IRCC via IRCC Webform.

Can I travel after submitting my PGWP application?

You can travel outside Canada after submitting your PGWP application; but, you can only travel back if you are exempt from travel restrictions. If you leave and re-enter Canada after applying for your post-graduation work permit, you can still work full-time while you wait for a decision. Leaving and re-entering Canada does not stop you from being able to work full-time while you wait.

Can I apply for PGWP from my home country?

Yes, you can apply for PGWP from your home country but you can only travel to Canada if you are exempt from travel restrictions. You don’t need to have a valid job offer in order to travel back. If your PGWP is not approved before you travel to Canada you will need to explain why you are coming back to Canada.

Can my spouse or common-law partner also apply for a work permit?

If IRCC approves your application for a post-graduation work permit, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit. Please check the type of work permits and eligibility requirements for your spouse or common-law partner on the Government of Canada website.

If you have questions

More information about PGWP is available on the post-graduation work permit page.


Please note: In accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations, the information in this document has been reviewed and approved by Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs). However, this is not an official document and information may change without notification. Please make sure to refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.