Program Review and Renewal is a faculty-driven process to review program or discipline curriculum, practices and services in the context of how well they support and contribute to student learning. The review process is meaningful, reasonable in scope, and contributes to purposeful and positive change.
What is program review and renewal?
Program review and renewal is:
- A facilitated, faculty driven and peer based process tailored to the needs of individual programs or disciplines
- A process that incorporates appreciative inquiry, a strengths based approach to program review
- A way of ensuring that a program or discipline is current, relevant and meeting learner, community or industry needs
What can you learn?
You can learn answers to the following questions, and more:
- Are students learning what they need to learn for today’s world?
- Are we using the most effective teaching/learning/assessment strategies to promote student learning in relation to the identified program outcomes?
- Are we making learning opportunities accessible to students and are they sustainable?
This sample document outlines the program curriculum, including underlying philosophy, program and course descriptions and learning outcomes, and pathways for students.
- Early Learning and Care: A collaborative faculty-driven program review and renewal process resulted in renewed program curriculum.
We're here to help guide your review and renewal process.
- Connect with Mavis Smith (Team Leader) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The program or discipline chair will work with the Curriculum Development and Program Renewal (CDPR) team on a plan and schedule
- Requests to commence a review can typically be accommodated in a timely manner
Program review & renewal: key elements, timelines and participants
|Setting the stage/visioning||3 to 4 meetings||Program faculty, staff, administrators, college partners|
|Review preliminary review plan||1 meeting||Review team (primarily faculty)|
|Data collection||1 month
Depending on student, community, industry, grad availability
|Facilitators under direction of Review team|
|Curriculum development||4 to 8 months||Review team (primarily faculty)|
|Facilities, resources, marketing||1 to 2 months||Review team/department and Chair|
|Portfolio and reporting out||1 to 2 months||Program review facilitators: Final report Chair: Portfolio and reporting out|