Program at a glance
Area of Study
Clinical and fieldwork placement
Open to International
At a glance image
Start your career as a Medical Office Assistant
The Medical Office Assistant certificate program prepares you for the administrative and clinical duties of an office assistant in a medical or healthcare office.
Medical Terminology Course Offerings
Our Medical Terminology course will develop the skills you need to understand medical terms including common medical prefixes, suffixes and combining forms as well as an exploration of the body systems.
Summer 2021 Course Options
- MOA 155 D01 – May 3, 2021 - Aug 7, 2021 (Online)
How To Register
- Phone: main registration line at 250-370-3550 (Opt 3).
- Ask to Register into MOA 155 (Medical Terminology)
- Pay deposit of $175 (interac, cheque, online banking or credit card)
- Pay remainder of course fee by deadline.
No sessions are scheduled at this time.
The School of Business Information Sessions are a great way to learn more about a program and to get your questions answered by faculty and staff.
Missed the live Information session?
If you missed the live session we've got you covered. Download the 2020 Fall Information Session PDF with clickable links.
Who can I contact if I want more information?
Effective from September 1, 2020 to August 31, 2021.
What to expect
The program consists of 10 courses starting in the Fall, Winter, Summer term. Program courses are delivered in a face-to-face instruction. Evening and daytime classes are held predominantly at the Interurban campus.
As Medical Office Assistant student, you gain general knowledge of medical terminology, business communications, financial management, information technology, medical transcription and billing.
Your Medical Office studies will be supplemented with applied learning opportunities, allowing for practical application of the program concepts while you gain valuable industry‐specific experience.
As a graduate, you are prepared to engage in basic triage of patients, charting, billing, and scheduling while working independently in a variety of health care settings.
A rewarding career
Medical administrative assistants in BC earn a median annual salary* of $47,800 depending on employer and seniority.
*2018 Job Bank Wage data
Curriculum & courses
When you apply you will need to submit proof that you meet the following admission requirements.
Tip: Where a letter grade is specified, you must have proof of that grade or higher.
- C in English 12
- C in Camosun Alternative
Note: Keyboarding speed of 30 words per minute is recommended
Upon acceptance into the program:
- All students must have received a “clear” criminal record check. For information see the Camosun College Criminal Record Check webpage.
Please note, any Criminal Record Checks done outside of the College will not be accepted and will result in additional costs.
- A TB skin test. Students are responsible for the cost of this test.
- Maintain current immunizations as per the Practice Education Guidelines of B.C. Recommended immunizations can be found at http://hspcanada.net/docs/PEG/1_3_Immunization.pdf. Failure to comply with immunization guidelines could result in the health care organization or the college barring the individual from the clinical setting until proof of immunity is provided and/or until a communicable disease outbreak is declared over. This could impact a student’s ability to successfully complete the clinical placement course.
- Students should be aware that latex will be in the work environment (allergy).
Our teaching staff
Camosun College is proud of the excellent quality of its instruction. Our teaching staff are experienced, inspiring and supportive of our students' individual journeys.
Find a full list of courses and specific admission requirements.