Program at a glance
Area of Study
Open to International
At a glance image
Vital part of healthcare
Start in May!
This comprehensive program will prepare you for an essential role in the healthcare team by producing ultrasound scans used to diagnose, treat, and monitor a variety of medical conditions. Explore core sonographic competencies and one of three specialty disciplines, General, Cardiac, or Vascular.
In demand profession
Certified ultrasound technologists are one of the most in-demand and sought-after diagnostic imaging health professionals. Due to expanding services, rapidly emerging technologies, and increasing patient populations sonographers command top salaries and often find permanent employment opportunities immediately after graduation.
Are you a future Diagnostic Medical Sonographer?
Sonographers and echocardiographers image vital organs, beating hearts, and babies in the womb to provide physicians with technical impressions of findings used for diagnosing, treating, and monitoring a variety of medical conditions.
To succeed in this demanding program and career, you should have strong academic skills, good organizational practices and a sense of social responsibility and caring. You'll be working in a team environment, using your ability to think critically and problem solve while expressing a real desire to serve the public.
You should be an independent learner with the ability to integrate and apply information. Computer literacy is essential since many courses will be taught online.
Find out more about upcoming networking and information sessions occurring at Camosun.
SONO Program Start Dates
New intake available every May.
Current information for School of Health and Human Services students and SONO Program specific handbook sections.
An Investment in Your Career
Invest in yourself! Get the skills you'll need to begin a challenging and rewarding career as a Diagnostic Medical Sonographer.
Effective from September 1, 2021 to August 31, 2022.
Medical Sonographers in the making
You'll learn a wide variety of practical and patient care skills. Our program is hands-on, with clinical placements throughout your time at Camosun. You'll learn about the science of ultrasound, anatomy and physiology, your role within the medical profession and how to treat patients ethically and with compassion. Located at our Interurban campus, you'll learn how to perform a comprehensive range of entry-to-practice general, obstetrical, cardiac, and vascular ultrasound scans while building theoretical knowledge for advanced and interventional sonography practice.
You'll experience a variety of approaches to educational delivery including traditional face-to-face classroom instruction, practical simulation labs, courses combining face-to-face instruction with distributed education (online learning) support, exclusively online courses, seminars, and supervised clinical practice.
Graduates who pass their National Certification exams are qualified to work all across Canada providing competent, compassionate, culturally appropriate sonography care and service with the highest level of professionalism in both public and private diagnostic imaging facilities.
Career / Academic Advancement Opportunities
After successfully completing your program and the Sonography Canada Canadian Clinical Skills Assessments, you’ll be eligible to write the Sonography Canada National Certification Exams for your chosen specialty.
Sonography Canada requires that students have met exam eligibility requirements from an accredited institution. Camosun College’s Diagnostic Medical Sonography Diploma Program and Advanced Certificate Program are currently in progress with Accreditation Canada and expect to achieve fully accredited status prior to May of 2023. If you have questions regarding accreditation and exam eligibility, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sonography Canada’s accreditation and exam eligibility requirements can be found here.
Curriculum & courses
Ready to get started? Apply for the May 2022 intake between May 3 and August 20, 2021 at 4pm.
When you apply you will need to submit proof that you meet the following admission requirements.
- Official documentation of all completed or in-progress academic and non-academic admission requirements must be received by 4pm on Sept 17th, 2021.
- Official documentation of any 'in progress' academic admission requirements must be received by the final document submission deadline: Jan 14th, 2022.
- All academic requirements must be from the last 5 years
Tip: Where a letter grade is specified, you must have proof of that grade or higher.
One of: *
- B in English 12
- B English Language Proficiency
- B in English 12 Camosun Alternative
One of: *
- B in Pre-Calculus 12
- B in MATH 100 or MATH 108
- B in Math 12 Camosun Alternative
One of: *
- B in Physics 12
- B in PHYS 105
- B in Physics 12 Camosun Alternative
- C+ in AHLT 165
One of: *
- B in Biology 12
- B in BIOL 143 or BIOL 150
- B in BIOL 152 and BIOL 153
- B in PNUR 101
- B in Biology 12 Camosun Alternative
- B in Medical Terminology MOA 155
- Completion of a Medical Terminology course consisting of a minimum of 60 hours with a letter grade of B or higher
And all of:
- Completed Physical Requirements Online Form
- Attendance at a program Information Session and completion of online questionnaire. An online option of the Information Session is available for anyone unable to attend in person
- 40 hours of volunteer work in a patient-related environment
- After the document submission deadline, all qualified applicants receive registration and scheduling instructions for their non-academic assessment. Students may take the assessment one time per application cycle and must do so within the prescribed timeframe indicated by the program. Students applying to other Allied Health & Technologies programs at Camosun College need only take the assessment once per application cycle.
For more detailed information about this program and specific admission requirements, see the Academic Calendar.
Our Teaching Staff
Camosun College is fiercely proud of the excellent quality of its instruction. Our teaching staff are experienced, inspiring and supportive of our students’ individual journeys.
Dr. Brent Mekelburg
Chair, Allied Health and Technologies (AHT)
Program Leader, Cardiac Ultrasound (SONO)
Program Leader, General Ultrasound (SONO)
Instructor, Allied Health and Technologies
Instructor, Allied Health and Technologies (AHT)
Find a full list of courses and specific admission requirements.