Camosun's Ombudsperson is an impartial, independent person whose major function is to provide confidential and informal assistance to students. The Ombudsperson receives and investigates student complaints, reports on findings, and helps achieve just and equitable settlements. The Ombudsperson is an advocate for fairness and an agent of change.
What is an Ombudsperson?
The Camosun College Office of the Ombudsperson supports students in resolving their issues and conflicts, and advocates for fairness and equity at Camosun. It's an unusual name, which basically means the Solutions Office'.
The Office is:
How can the Ombudsperson help?
The Office of the Ombudsperson provides a safe, comfortable, confidential environment for students to discuss conflicts, complaints, or disputes. The Ombudsperson will first listen, and then will help you develop strategies and options for resolving your concerns, as well as provide guidance on College policies and procedures.
Roles of an Ombudsperson include:
- Listen and then discuss College-related questions, concerns, and complaints
- Help evaluate various options to address concerns
- Explain policies and procedures
- Advise on how to informally resolve problems, as well as formal and administrative options
- Mediate disputes for "win-win" resolutions
- Facilitate communication
- Refer to other Camosun student services when appropriate
- Investigate concerning trends and make recommendations to the College when appropriate
I’m easy to reach, even during this time of the COVID pandemic. Feel free to contact my office anytime with a college-related concern at: email@example.com. We can then meet online or by phone.
Office of the Ombudsperson - Camosun College