After a year-long consultation process, we are rolling out the college’s new Strategic Plan that will guide us over the next five years. The plan is the result of many conversations and reflects thousands of comments, ideas and thoughts.
Responding to Community Needs
Camosun College is dedicated to serving students and partners within the local and global community.
We will continue to be responsive to evolving community needs and ensure that graduates are equipped with the education and skills essential to employers.
- Goal 1: Enhance student life on campus, prioritizing student housing and creating spaces that contribute to collaboration and community.
- Goal 2: Excel in building lasting and reciprocal relationships and partnerships, locally, nationally, and globally to serve the college community and students.
- Goal 3: Break down systemic barriers to improve access to post-secondary education.
The Spirit of Camossung
The Spirit of Camossung represents the concept of transformation as told through the Songhees legend of Camossung — where two waters meet and are transformed. In the legend, Halyas, who is said to be a transformer being, turned a young girl, known as Camossung, into stone and cast her into the narrows, near where the Tillicum bridge is located today. After her transformation, the Spirit of Camossung was believed to be a protector of those traveling by canoe through the Gorge to the Portage Inlet and was able to grant powers to those who swam in the narrows.
In the image, Camossung is shown gesturing the ‘raising of hands’ to honour and acknowledge the ancestors and give thanks for the ancestral lands. Above her head, she is holding six individual paddles each with a traditional symbol to represent the six priorities of the college’s strategic plan. The paddles in the strategic plan image are another reference to the legend of Camossung and are also intended to represent the notion of the college community ‘paddling or pulling together.’
Created by local artist and alumni Dylan Thomas, the image is a modern example of traditional Coast Salish art, iconography, and semiotics.
Introduction to the 2023-2028 Strategic Plan with Dr. Lane Trotter
Over the next six weeks, each priority will be introduced with a short video alongside the accompanying paddle design.
Strengthening the Camosun Advantage - Thunderbird
At Camosun College, we prepare students to thrive in a rapidly changing world.
- Goal 1: Empower students to stand out by providing educational experiences that will equip them for their future.
- Goal 2: Deliver outstanding flexible learning opportunities to support students’ evolving educational needs.
- Goal 3: Cultivate relationships with students to support their educational journey within and beyond Camosun.
ÍY,ĆȺNEUEL OL: Doing Good Work Together - Hands Together
Camosun College is committed to cultivating a work environment that values people, life-long learning, individual and organizational well-being, and service.
We work together to advance the vision, mission, and values of the college.
- Goal 1: Nurture a positive, collaborative and rewarding work culture.
- Goal 2: Ensure financial sustainability for continued investment in student success.
- Goal 3: Promote a culture of data-informed decision-making and process improvement.