Camosun's commitment is to build concepts of ecological sustainability and social responsibility into our programs and courses and to be a leader in environmentally sustainable practices.
Camosun College's 2011-2014 Strategic Plan PDF, Pillar 4: Sustainable Results sets out goals to build concepts of ecological sustainability and social responsibility into programs and courses and to be a leader in environmentally sustainable practices.
Camosun has travelled down the path of environmental sustainability for a number of years. An Environmental Management Policy was drafted in October 2005 and the Environmental Sustainability Council was formed in December 2010. To further its commitment and to support of the Strategic Plan, Camosun established the Office for Environmental Sustainability in 2012.
Amongst other things, the Office of Environmental Sustainability is responsible for:
- Increasing understanding, awareness and engagement in sustainability initiatives at the college for both employees and students.
- Supporting the work of the ES Council and other sustainability initiatives.
- Developing and implementing a communications strategy, which includes an annual report, to communicate about achievements and efforts to date.
- Facilitating connections across the college to advance sustainability initiatives.
- Working collaboratively with other departments and program areas to identify research grants or funding sources to support sustainability initiatives.
- Strengthening the rigor of institutional sustainability through the introduction of policies, standards, guidelines, and requirements.
One of the leading initiatives from the Office of Environmental Sustainability is the development of Camosun's first Sustainability Plan which was completed in spring 2014.
Carbon Neutral Reporting
In British Columbia under Bill 44 "Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Reduction Targets Act," all public sector organizations and institutions are required to become carbon neutral in their operations and to report out annually with the plans and actions they have taken to reduce GHG emissions. Camosun has been committed to this goal and has made great strides to facilitate Carbon Neutrality.
Please visit the Government of BC Ministry of Environment website to see the Province's public sector organization's Carbon Neutral Action Reports.
Learn more about British Columbia's Carbon Neutrality and highlights of 2012 PDF