The Criminal Record Review Act requires any student that may be working with children and/or vulnerable adults during the course of their program to complete a criminal record check. Completing a criminal record check is a program participation requirement. You must complete the Criminal Record Check (CRC) process with Camosun College as outlined below.
Before you begin the Criminal Record Check process, ensure that you have carefully read through these instructions (steps 1-4) completely.
The Criminal Record Check processes are time sensitive. Please utilize your access code and complete the online request as soon as possible.
Step 1 – Access Code
Once you have accepted a seat in a Camosun program that requires a criminal record check, the Student Records department will send you an email with your Criminal Record Check website access code.
If you have accidentally deleted this email or lost your access code, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request another copy of your instruction email.
The access code will allow you to complete your CRC online request.
Step 2 – Get Ready
In order to complete your CRC online request, first gather the necessary documents and information.
When you're completing your online request, you'll need to provide specific answers to some of the questions. For the full process, see Step 3.
- Position/job title: student
- Name: you must use your legal name (first/middle/last)
What you'll need to complete your online request
- access code sent to you in the instruction email
- your current and/or previous address information for the past two years (minimum)
- personal credit information, which is used to verify your identity
- a working computer with internet access and print capabilities
- a credit card for online payment of the CRC fee
- valid identification
For identification, you will need at least one piece of primary identification and at least one piece of secondary identification. One of the pieces must be government-issued and include the applicant’s name, date of birth, signature, and photo.
A Camosun Student ID is not acceptable as a primary piece of photo identification, but will be accepted as a secondary piece of ID. Photocopies and expired cards are not accepted.
- BC Driver's Licence or learner's licence (must have your photo)
- BC Services Card (must have photo)
- Canadian birth certificate
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Canadian Record of Landing/Canadian Immigration Identification Record
- School ID card (student card)
- Bank card (only if applicant's name is on the card)
- Credit card (only if applicant's name is on the card)
- Foreign birth certificate (a baptismal certificate is not acceptable)
- Canadian or U.S. driver's licence
- Naturalization certificate
- Canadian Forces identification
- Police identification
- Foreign Affairs Canada or consular identification
- Vehicle registration (only if applicant's signature is shown)
- Picture employee ID card
- Canadian Firearms Licence (PAL)
- Social Insurance Card (new style without signature strip not acceptable)
- BC Care Card
- BC Services Card (with or without photo)
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status
- Parole Certificate ID
- Correctional Service Conditional Release Card
Step 3 – Online Request
You will need a computer with internet access and print capabilities to complete this step. If you do not have this available to you at home, you can visit the Camosun library at either campus.
Go to the Ministry of Justice CRC website
This secure website will collect your personal information, and will use your credit history to validate your identity. Once you begin your online request, you will have approximately one hour to complete it before the session expires and you have to restart the process.
Note: The online process will not be able to validate the identity of all individuals; some students may therefore be required to submit an in-person request for a criminal record check through Camosun.
Camosun CRC requirements
- New criminal record check: You must request a new criminal record check, as we don't accept shared checks. Sending Camosun a shared request will delay the fulfillment of this program participation requirement.
- Middle names: If you have middle names, you must enter them.
- Previous names: If you have previously used a name other than what is currently on your legal identification (for example, if your name has changed due to marriage), you must enter your previous name in the "other names used" section.
- Position/job title: For your Application Position/Job Title, enter "Student."
- Address history: Give your current address, and how many months (not years) you have been at that address. If you have been at your current address fewer than 24 months, provide your previous address as well.
Electronic Identity Verification (EIV)
In order to verify your identification to submit your online request, you will be asked to answer several multiple choice questions related to your credit history. The questions may be about a student loan, or what bank you may have had a car loan with, or about a credit card you may have had, or about your SIN number, or similar.
Payment and Submission
If the system was able to verify your identity, you will be asked for your credit card information to pay your CRC fee of $28. Once your payment is made, your submission is complete and you are done. We recommend that you print out the "Submission complete" page for your own records.
In-person Identity Verification
If the system was unable to verify your identity through the EIV process, you will see a notification at the top of your screen that says, "The system could not complete your request to initiate a criminal record check online."
If you see this message, please click the grey "print" button at the bottom of the page. Bring the printed request and two valid pieces of identification (see Step 2 for list) to the Student Records/CRC desk, at whichever campus is convenient for you. We will verify your identity and complete an in-person request for you.
Once your CRC request has been submitted by Camosun, the Ministry of Justice will email you to request online credit card payment of your CRC fee of $28. You must complete payment before the Ministry will process your request.
Processing times vary. It typically takes several days to several weeks (occasionally months) to receive CRC clearance. You will not be permitted to participate in any aspects of your program that require CRC clearance, including practicum, clinical or work placements, until the criminal record check is completed by the Ministry and clearance has been received by Camosun.
Remember, if you have completed your request using the In-person Identity Verification process through the Student Records/CRC department, your application will not be processed until you have paid your CRC fee to the Ministry of Justice.
If you think you may not be able to apply for your CRC in a timely manner, check with your program leader or chair to determine how this delay may impact your studies.
If you have problems with any part of this process, please contact us by email at email@example.com.
In your email, always include your full name, student ID number, program name and email or phone number at which you can be reached.