The Phyllis Mary Nixon Entrance Bursary is available to new students who demonstrate exceptional financial need that have relocated from outside of the Southern Vancouver Island area (south of the Malahat including Salt Spring and Gulf Islands) in order to enter full-time studies in the fall semester at Camosun College. Annual availability of this award may vary.
Phyllis Mary Nixon Memorial Bursary Applications are now closed.
The next round of applications will be open May 2019.
Phyllis Mary Nixon Memorial Bursary Value: approximately $4,000 per award, varies annually
- Program of Study: Any Camosun College full time program leading to a credential
- Number of Awards: 1 award available
All applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Have relocated to the Capital Regional District from outside of the southern Vancouver Island area (south of the Malahat including Salt Spring Island and Gulf Islands) to attend Camosun College this fall
- Be enrolled or planning to enrol, full-time, in the upcoming Fall semester into a Camosun program that leads to a credential
- Be able to demonstrate exceptional financial need
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Complete the online application no later than August 1, 2018.
- Upload supporting documentation with online application. Supporting documentation includes proof of your original home address, proof of your relocation, as well as a one-page letter of intention.
- Proof of original home address: You must provide a copy of documentation which indicates your name and your original home address. (e.g. Household/credit card bill, bank statement, CRA Notice of Assessment, Driver’s License.)
- Proof of relocation: Provide a copy of documentation which supports your move. (e.g. Copy of rental/tenancy agreement, receipt for moving truck)
- Your letter of intention should:
Describe why you are interested in your program and what your future career goals are
Outline your past work and educational experiences
Speak to any past or current extraordinary personal or financial barriers or challenges
- Online application will be available from May until August 1, 2018.
- Complete applications must be submitted by August 1, 2018. All supporting documentation must be received by this date. Late, incomplete, or printed applications will not be accepted.
- Adjudication of this bursary will be managed by Financial Aid & Awards. All decisions are final.
- Successful recipients will be notified by email by October 1, 2018.
- Funds will be applied directly to the student account. If tuition and fees have already been paid, any residual bursary amounts will be refunded to the student.
- Entrance bursaries cannot be deferred to a future semester or year.
- Students will not normally receive more than one entrance bursary.
- Students receiving Persons with Disabilities or Income Assistance should speak with Financial Aid & Awards and their Ministry case worker to discuss how bursary funds may impact their government assistance.
- Bursary funds are considered income. A statement for income tax purposes will be sent to recipients by Camosun.
- Bursary recipients are encouraged to write a thank you letter to the donor; thank you letters can be submitted to Financial Aid & Awards at either campus.