Building wardens lead a team of volunteer wardens who provide the initial organized response to emergencies, and liaise with Camosun College Campus Security and the Emergency Management team to maintain an Emergency Services Plan for each building.
In the event of emergency, building wardens provide a link between the volunteer warden team for the building and Emergency Operations Centre personnel or the incident commander.
- ensuring that all persons within their building have been notified of an emergency situation
- ensuring that all persons evacuating their building are directed to the Emergency Assembly Point (EAP) for their building
- collecting status reports from floor and area wardens in their building
- ensuring that injured persons are attended by first aid attendants or emergency responders
- providing status reports about any injuries and all persons within their building to the Incident Site Commander or EAP coordinator when appropriate
- availability during periods of normal occupancy
Emergency wardens are not expected to unnecessarily delay their own exit from the building, or to jeopardize their safety at any time.
Building wardens must be familiar with:
- floor and area wardens, and instructors who normally work in the building
- maintenance and custodial staff who are normally responsible for the building
- the operation of the fire alarm system and emergency communication procedures
- all points of access to and from the building
- potentially hazardous materials or operations undertaken in the building
- the location and operation of fire doors, smoke doors, fire blankets, portable fire extinguishers and fire hoses in the building
- the identity and location of mobility-impaired persons in the building
- the Emergency Assembly Point associated with their building and the EAP coordinator
for help in any emergency or
from any campus phone.
For non-emergency access to Campus Safety, please call 250-370-4567.