What to expect from the assessment process
Keep in mind that an assessment is not a test: its purpose is to identify your skills at this moment. The results will show either that you are ready for your program or that you need to upgrade first.
If you do not see an answer to your question, please contact us.
Here are answers to some common questions about the assessment experience.
Before the Assessment
- Students who selected Option A for their English or math assessments will likely take their assessment with Academic and Career Foundations at the Interurban campus.
- Students who selected Option B for their English or math assessments will likely take their assessment at the Assessment Centre on the Lansdowne campus, Isabel Dawson Building, Second floor
- If English is not your first language, contact English Language Development (ELD) at the Interurban campus.
- If you have documentation and received an academic accommodation for extra time, test aids, or testing in a room alone before, contact the Centre for Accessible Learning. It is likely that you can complete your assessment there.
- Assessments are also available at through our Community Partnership sites.
- Still not sure where to go? Contact a Student Navigator at email@example.com.
We can serve you better if you register online for your assessment. Space is limited, tests are given on a set schedule, and not all tests are given at the same time.
Possibly. Please bring us your results and we will let you know.
Yes—we will accept whichever result is higher.
During the Assessment
You should try to finish your English or Math assessment within 3 hours. Trades assessment time limits vary based on the program (typically between 1-2 hours).
Both options are available. Most assessments at the Assessment Centre (Option B) are computerized.
It’s absolutely ok! We have an essay guidelines sheet that you can read during your assessment. If you want to prepare, have a look at our WritePlacer essay sample guide.
No. If your assessment requires a calculator, we will provide one.
Yes. Just be sure to let us know on your way out.
After the Assessment
Within one week, but sometimes much sooner -- often you will get results within 24 hours. Math results are available immediately.
Generally, math results are provided to you immediately after your assessment. English results are emailed as soon as they are ready. We do not provide results over the phone.
Contact Admissions and Recruitment to continue your registration process. Your assessment results will have been entered into your student record. If you would like one-on-one support to access these college services, please contact our Student Navigators.
Yes. Under exceptional circumstances, you may be permitted to rewrite your assessment after the scores have been reviewed.
There is no expiry date on your assessment results. However, if you haven’t taken an assessment for several years, you may wish to reassess to get an accurate reflection of your current skills.