What to expect from the assessment process
Keep in mind that an assessment is not a test: its purpose is to identify your skills at this moment. The results will show either that you are ready for your program or that you need to upgrade first.
If you do not see an answer to your question, please contact us.
Here are answers to some common questions about the assessment experience.
Why should I take an assessment?
You should take an assessment:
- if you do not have evidence (e.g., transcripts) that your skills meet the prerequisites of the course or program you wish to enter.
- if you have been away from school for a long time, and would like to know where you should start your journey at Camosun.
Before the Assessment
- Students who selected Option A for their English or math assessments will likely take their assessment with Academic and Career Foundations online.
- Students who selected Option B for their English or math assessments may take their assessments at the Assessment Centre (Lansdowne campus) in person or register to take their assessment remotely.
- If English is not your first language, contact English Language Development (ELD) at the Interurban campus.
- If you have documentation and received an academic accommodation for extra time, test aids, or testing in a room alone before, contact the Centre for Accessible Learning. It is likely that you can complete your assessment there.
- Assessments are also available at through our Community Partnership sites.
- Still have questions? Contact a Student Navigator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Determine what assessment you wish to take.
- Register online for your free assessment.
- Put it in your calendar; you will need about 3 hours.
- Brush up on your skills. Study Materials has resources and practice materials to refresh your memory
Possibly. Please mention this to us and we may have you email your results and we will let you know.
During the Assessment
You should try to finish your English or Math assessment within 3 hours. Trades assessment time limits vary based on the program (typically between 1-2 hours).
It’s absolutely ok! We have an essay guidelines sheet that you can read during your assessment. If you want to prepare, have a look at our WritePlacer essay sample guide.
After the Assessment
Within one week, but sometimes much sooner -- often you will get results within 24 hours. Math results are available immediately.
Generally, math results are provided to you immediately after your assessment. English results are emailed as soon as they are ready. We do not provide results over the phone.
Contact Admissions and Recruitment to continue your registration process. Your assessment results will have been entered into your student record. If you would like one-on-one support to access these college services, please contact our Student Navigators.
Yes. Under exceptional circumstances, you may be permitted to rewrite your assessment after the scores have been reviewed.
There is no expiry date on your assessment results. However, if you haven’t taken an assessment for several years, you may wish to reassess to get an accurate reflection of your current skills.