The Centre for Accessible Learning (CAL) is part of Camosun’s Student Affairs unit. CAL coordinates academic accommodations and provides programs and services to students with a documented disability.
Providing equitable access to Camosun students
Welcome to the Centre for Accessible Learning. We support students who self-identify with a documented, diagnosed disability in achieving their educational goals by arranging and coordinating appropriate and reasonable supports and accommodations. The centre also provides expert guidance to the college community, enabling faculty and staff to create a more accessible learning environment.
The Centre promotes leading practices to enhance equity and inclusion by:
- Advancing the principles of universal design to minimize the need for adaptions and accommodations and by creating a learning environment that meets the highest standard of usability and accessibility for all
- Supporting students to become proactive self-advocates
- Providing training and development opportunities for faculty and staff and developing resources to support instructors
- Ensuring supports and accommodations are aligned with the college’s educational mandate, academic principles, institutional policies, and legal obligations
- Identifying and removing barriers that prevent access and impede success
- Celebrating the diversity of abilities within the college and reducing disability-related stigma