Severe weather procedures: important information for Camosun students
During severe weather conditions, Camosun College may make the decision to close Lansdowne and Interurban campuses and cancel or reschedule classes based on transportation and safety issues.
If this occurs, Camosun will communicate the closing of campuses and cancellation of classes through:
- Postings on the Camosun website homepage: camosun.ca
- The media - local radio & TV stations
- Postings on the main Camosun social media sites:
- Messages on the main Camosun phone number: 250-370-3000
- Notices on the Camosun College Emergency App (download Camosun’s free app here)
- BC Transit
Once the college has been declared CLOSED, it will be closed for the remainder of the school day, including evening classes, and employees and students are asked to check the above communication outlets for further updates.
Camosun College decisions on campus closures & procedures
Deciding to close the college for weather purposes is not a simple task. So we thought we’d tell you what the factors are that influence the decision.
- First and foremost we want people to stay safe. So we look at a series of factors that include: are the buses running? Are main roads clear? Is the campus clear and safe? What are the conditions of the roads? Do we have power and heat? What are police forces saying and recommending? What’s the ongoing weather prediction? And to minimise confusion we work very hard to have these decisions made by 6:30am.
- We also have a responsibility to make sure that as much as possible there is minimal disruption to courses and programs. Should exams need to be cancelled due to weather, the scheduling process includes an added Sunday as a day for rescheduling of final exams.
We know that not everyone lives where the roads are clear and that buses run slow in inclement weather. Our best advice is to first and foremost look after yourself and be safe. You have to be the judge of that as every circumstance is different. If you can’t make it in, we suggest that you let your instructors know. And we understand.
Snow Events – Exams & Assignments
Camosun College strives to respond to snow events proactively with clear messaging about closures. Often information is fast-changing and localized, and this can mean that circumstances change as the day proceeds. It may also mean that although the college campuses are open, students, in areas where weather is more severe, may not be able to make it to class.
As a result, at times where weather circumstances are acknowledged to be variable and where severe weather or road conditions are at play, the college commits that students will not be negatively impacted where exams are scheduled or assignments are due. Both timelines will be adjusted to reasonably accommodate the student.
If you have further questions, please contact your school’s Administrative Office.
Camosun College Communications Office
Last updated: December 11, 2019 3:39 pm