Students at Camosun to benefit from enhanced programs, services
Release date: Feb. 7, 2020
A range of enhanced student programs and services that directly benefit students will soon be coming to Camosun College.
Following student consultations and signing a Memorandum of Understanding with the Camosun College Student Society, the college’s Board of Governors on Feb. 3, 2020 voted in favour of a modest fee that supports a vision of accessible, responsive and sustainable student services.
Currently, Camosun is the only public post-secondary institution in British Columbia that does not collect a fee payable to the college for student services.
A student service fee will be introduced in September 2020 to enhance programs or services that directly improve the student experience. The fee will be payable by all students.
The college will solicit feedback annually through the Student Experience Survey. A Student Advisory Committee will provide direct advice and suggestions to the college’s Student Experience Division.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the purpose of the new Student Services Fee?
- Revenue from the Student Services Fee will be used to enhance programs and services that directly improve the overall student experience at Camosun.
- For example, counselling, academic advising, career supports and library resources.
Is the new fee mandatory?
- The Student Services Fee applies to all students.
How much is the fee and when does it take effect?
- The Student Services Fee is $11.35/month and will take effect September 2020.
How does the new Camosun Student Services Fee compare to other colleges?
- Camosun is currently the only public post-secondary institution that doesn’t collect a fee.
- Fees at other institutions range from $100 per term for tech supports to $45 for library and student services.
How were students consulted?
- A consultation with students about the type of services took place in March 2019.
- An MOU was signed with the CCSS in January 2020.
Will the fee increase annually?
- Fee increases are capped at 2% annually.
How will the college ensure the fee directly benefits students?
- The college will track the benefit of the Student Services Fee.
- We will solicit feedback annually on programs and services through the Student Experience Survey and report on the progress of program and service expansion.
- The Student Advisory Committee will meet annually to review current and future service investments.
Last updated: July 29, 2020 4:41 pm