This archived web page remains online for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated and may contain out of date information. If you’re looking for specific information and haven’t found it, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
More than 2,500 visitors expected at Camosun's Open House and Career Fair
8:30am-2:30pm, Thursday, May 2 at Camosun’s Interurban Campus
April 30, 2013
Camosun's Open House and Career Fair offers a wide variety of hands-on activities to help visitors explore post-secondary and career options. This annual event happens this Thursday, May 2, 8:30am-2:30pm at Interurban campus.
More than 50 school buses will bring students in grades 8 through 12 from the five south Island school districts. Adults of all ages are also most welcome to attend.
All areas of the campus are open, from the Trades shops on one end to the Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence (PISE) at the other end. Programs based at Lansdowne campus will also be setting up displays and activities at Interurban, giving visitors a full college-wide experience.
"Economists predict that by 2020, there will be over 1.1 million job openings in BC, with skills shortages in almost every sector," explains open house coordinator Val Mieras. "And 78% of the upcoming jobs will need post-secondary education. This event showcases all the programs Camosun offers in health, business, technology, trades, sport, arts and science, and gives our visitors a chance to explore the connections between Camosun and careers."
- Mr. Wizard Science Show (8:30am-1pm in room 230 Tech bldg.)
- One-string electric guitar workshops (9:30am, 11am and 1pm in centre atrium, Tech bldg.)
- Health Care Career Fair with VIHA (PISE Gym)
- Nursing's computerized patient demos (9am, 11am, 1pm in PISE Gym)
- Wheelchair Obstacle Race (back courtyard, PISE)
- Creative Arts Centre - featuring Super Hero live life drawing, music, art gallery, creative writing advice (Campus Centre 3rd floor)
- Victoria Conservatory of Music student performances (10am, 11am, 1pm, 2pm, CC3rd floor)
- Spaghetti Bridge competition (12:30-2:30pm, room 110 Tech bldg.)
- Compressed air rocket launch (atrium, Tech bldg)
- Cut steel with a plasma arc cutter (sheet metal shop, Jack White bldg.)
- Operate a crane (heavy duty mechanics shop, Jack White bldg.)
- Nail driving contest (carpentry shop, Jack White bldg.)
- Pipe bowling and golf (plumbing shop, John Drysdale bldg.)
- Aboriginal Drumming workshop (10am and noon, room 125, Centre for Business & Access)
- Biology Bingo (CBA atrium)
- And much more!
Full details are online at www.camosun.ca/openhouse.
Coordinator, Open House & Career Fair 2013
Cell on May 2: 778-679-9960
Last updated: April 30, 2013 1:53 pm