Open House—a huge hit by any measure!
This archived web page remains online for reference, research or record-keeping purposes. This page will not be altered or updated and may contain out of date information. If you’re looking for specific information and haven’t found it, please contact email@example.com.
May 6, 2011
An accountant could create a balance sheet; a statistician could create a pie chart; a mathematician could extrapolate the data ad infinitum. But, if you want to see for yourself how well we did at Open House 2011, just check out the photo gallery! And check out the prize winners...
More visitors than ever before pounded nails, tested torques and tensions, built electric guitars from junk, and built spaghetti bridges from—well, from spaghetti.
They played mind games, math games and medical games. They examined the physiology of strength training, got Wii golf tips from a golf pro, drank over 1,000 mocktails, learned about traditional Coast Salish herbal remedies, and raced wheelbarrows and wheelchairs.
They listened to student panels, asked challenging questions, met our industry and community partners and explored over 160 education and career options.
In short, more than 3,500 people got their hands in, on and all over our stuff at Open House! Best of all, our visitors discovered what the Camosun experience is all about: hands-on post-secondary education; instructors with real-world expertise; modern facilities, technology and equipment; and a welcoming college, connected to the community and your future.
Mark your calendar for next year! Thursday, May 3, 2012.
Congratulations to all our Open House prize winners
Grand prizes sponsored by Telus:
- Xbox Kinect: Cole Gueho
- LG Optimus One touch screen phone: Danielle Cavelti
- LG Cookie Plus touch screen phone: Tabatha Dikkentman
- INQ Cat Phone plus $100 gift card (two prizes): Shelby Mutter, Brianna Corbin
The 18th Annual Spaghetti Bridge Competition:
Middle School (Grades 6-9)
- First: Oliver, Nicholas, Jarryd, John (Central Middle School)
- Second: Scott, Connor (Central Middle School)
- Third: Shay, Tavii (Bayside Middle School)
High School (Grades 10-12)
- First: Alex, Nate (Edward Milne Community School)
- Second: Sid (Gold River Secondary School)
- Third: Connor, Josh, Zack, Glen (Belmont Secondary School)
Camosun Engineering Technology
- First: Percy Williams, Alex Kaspryk
- Second: Geoff Robson
- Third: Nic Provencal, Jeff Hauser
T-shirts (for naming parts of a skeleton)
- Thomas House, Megan Sakuma, Alan Raat, Lewis Hurst, Cindy Sio
Romeo's gift certificate (Community, Family & Child Studies Department)
- Becca Thackray
To Catch a Thief (Forensic Auditing – Accounting)
- Scenario #1: Matt Heywood – Movie snacks bag
- Scenario #2: Colin Bruce, Mount Douglas High School – Candy bag
- Scenario #3: Saskia Reym, Parkland Secondary School - Movie snacks bag
- Scenario #4: Calum Vanderbyl – Candy bag
- Scenario #5: Madison Greggans, Gulf Islands Secondary - Movie snacks bag
Oral B Professional Care 7000 electric toothbrush
- Wendy McAfee
Nine holes round of golf at the Ridge Course at Cordova Bay
For winning at the Golf Management Wii Golf activity
- Kyle McFarlane, Jane Draw, Stephen Scinocca
Last updated: February 13, 2012 1:33 pm