Camosun's partner, the Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM), is one of the largest and most respected music schools in Canada.
Founded in 1964, the VCM is a non-profit Centre for Excellence committed to breathing music into life. It is home to more than 120 faculty members and 2,700 students of all ages and abilities. The school also serves over 1,600 music therapy clients in its internationally acclaimed music therapy program. The VCM's mission is to enrich lives through music in a thriving community accessible to everyone.
Whether seeking a new experience in music or taking a current experience to new heights, turn to the VCM for an exemplary music education. For childhood through senior years, VCM offers extensive programming, including the finest training for the 21st century music marketplace through our college, post-secondary preparatory and advanced training programs, as well as our Collegium program for young musicians.
Joining the VCM means joining a thriving community of musicians and music lovers. VCM is a non-profit organization, and the most comprehensive music school in the region. When you learn music at the VCM, your teachers will be among some of the best musicians in the world, providing you with an inspirational environment where creativity and artistic expression are always encouraged.
Why choose the Victoria Conservatory of Music?
Of course VCM provides lessons and group classes with top notch instructors – that's our specialty! It's our many other unique advantages that set us apart. At the VCM we offer:
- Unique performance venues: Our beautiful heritage building is one our most valuable resources. The VCM is home to Wood Hall and Alix Goolden Hall, which features a heritage 1910 Casavant organ.
- Extensive music library: With over 75,000 musical scores, books and recordings, our music library is one of the largest in the region and is available to students to support and enhance their musical education.
- Financial assistance: VCM is proud to provide scholarships and bursuries, with over $85,000 awarded to deserving students every year.
- Post-Secondary Studies: Students can work towards a career in music through VCM's Professional School, in collaboration with Camosun College. We offer two-year Diplomas in Music and Jazz, a one-year Certificate in Music Foundations and the Certificate in Music Technologies.
- Children's music programs: Our music programs for young children are the most comprehensive in Victoria, with fun, creative musical activities and instruction that builds important cognitive and social skills crucial to a child's development.
- Special music programs: For gifted and advanced students, VCM offers more intensive learning experiences including the Collegium Program for Young Musicians, the Advanced Voice Workshop, and Opera Studio.
- VCM Presents Conservatory Concert Series: Enjoy the opportunity to hear local musicians and international guest artists in our own Conservatory Concert Series. Free admission for VCM students!