Camosun hosts annual South Island skills competition for local high school students
Each year, Camosun’s Interurban campus buzzes with activity as 1,000 middle and secondary school students come for a one-day event coordinated by the South Island Partnership and Camosun’s School of Trades and Technology. This three-in-one event introduces younger students to aspects of trades and technology careers, while the older students showcase their skills in competition for gold, silver and bronze medals.
2019 Southern Vancouver Island Skills Canada Regional Competitions and Discover Trades & Technology Event
Friday, March 8, 2019
Regional Skills Competition
The Skills Canada BC South Vancouver Island Regional Competition will bring high school students (Grades 10-12) to campus for the day, each competing in skills competitions in trades and technology. Gold medal winners will then represent the south Island region at the next Skills Canada BC provincial competition.
- Architectural & Mechanical CAD
- Automotive Service
- Culinary Arts
- Graphic Design
- Public Speaking
Junior Skills Contests
Middle school students (Grades 6-9) will test their creativity in four junior contests.
- Gravity Car: Teams build and bring a car and race to win.
- Spaghetti Bridge Building: Teams build a bridge and load test it.
- Sumo Robots: Teams build and bring a sumo robot and compete one-on-one.
- Woodworking: Build a tugboat [watch the video on Youtube].
- Gear Bots: Program & Code a robot to work through different challenges
Discover Trades and Technologies Activities
School District 61, 62, 63, and 79 middle school students are invited to view the contests and to participate in hands-on trades and tech activities. Activities include:
- 3D Mechanical Project/High Tech Show & Tell
- Auto Body
- Build a Mechanical Project
- Carpentry and Horticulture (combination activity)
- Electronics Showcase
- ITA Tool Finder
- Marble Powered Computing
- Plumbing and Piping
- Professional Cook
- Sheet Metal Fabrication
South Island Event Coordinator