Get ahead with trades training
Kick start your career in the trade that is right for you. Funding for the Women in Trades Training initiative (WITT) is provided through the Canada-British Columbia Job Fund Agreement (CFJ).
WITT is open to women of all ages, backgrounds and skill levels who are looking for a career within the trades.
Camosun, through our Women in Trades Training office, offers two different sponsorship avenues:
- Trades Skills Foundation for Women program, and/or
- Foundation sponsorship into one of Camosun's skilled Trades Foundation programs
WITT might be right for you if you are a woman who is:
- Unemployed and have not collected or been eligible for Employment Insurance (EI) over the past three years (or five years for receipt of maternity/parental benefits); or
- Employed women who are working equal to or less than 20 hours per week and actively seeking full-time employment. Individuals who are working for no wage (i.e. volunteering) are not considered employed.
Trade Skills Foundation Exploratory program
Participants will work in the classroom and various shops exploring a variety of trades, career paths, industry demands and safety practices/training. Trades covered may include:
- Fine Furniture
- Sheet Metal
*Note: Days/times/location are subject to change with adequate notice
- 40 days of hands on training, safety training, upgrading and job readiness.
- Camosun College, Interurban Campus
Program Start Dates
- Spring 2018
Limited seating available.
Once you have determined your eligibility, send a one-page letter of intention to include:
- Your eligibility as per the above Funding Requirements
- Description of why you are interested in the program and what your future career goals are
- Description of your past work and educational experiences
- Include phone and email contact information
- Indicate which program/semester you are interested in
- Send your letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Camosun Women in Trades Training offers sponsorship for eligible and selected women in their pursuit of becoming a tradesperson by supporting Foundation training at the college.
To apply for WITT sponsorship for Foundation programming at Camosun College, applicants must have the prerequisites for that particular program. Check the Admission Requirements tab for any of Camosun's Trades Foundation program (pre-apprentice programs) and their respective prerequisites.
For information on trades programs please contact our office:
- Jayna Wiewiorowski, Coordinator
- In person
- Please call for an appointment