Get ahead with trades training
There has never been a better time to enter the trades. Kick start your career in the trade that is right for you.
Funding for the Women in Trades Training initiative (WITT) program is provided through the Canada-British Columbia Job Fund Agreement (CFJ). The WITT program is open to women of all ages, backgrounds and skill levels. Funding offers assistance to cover tuition, books and tools to those that are eligible.
The WITT program might be right for you if you are a woman who is:
- Unemployed and have not collected or been eligible for Employment Insurance (EI) over the past three years (or five years for receipt of maternity/parental benefits); or
- Employed women who are working equal to or less than 20 hours per week and actively seeking full-time employment. Individuals who are working for no wage (i.e. volunteering) are not considered employed.
Camosun, through our Women in Trades Training office, offers two different trade avenues:
- Trades Skills Foundation for Women program, and/or
- Direct entry into one of Camosun’s skilled Trades Foundation programs
Trade Skills Foundation Exploratory program
Participants will work in the classroom and various shops exploring a variety of trades, career paths, industry demands and safety practices/training. Trades covered may include:
- Fine Furniture
- Sheet Metal
- 12 weeks (8 weeks hands on trades training and 4 weeks of safety training, upgrading and job readiness)
- Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays from 8:30am–3pm*
- Camosun College, Interurban Campus
*Note: Days/times/location are subject to change with adequate notice
Program Start Dates
- Fall semester: October 2016 - December 2016* (Fall semester is now FULL - applications for the Fall waitlist accepted at this time)
1/2 day mandatory orientation the week before program begins
- Next semester: Spring 2017 (dates TBA)
Limited seating available.
- Fall semester: FULL (applications for the waitlist accepted at this time)
- Next semester: ongoing applications
Once you have determined your eligibility, send a one page letter of intention to include:
- Your eligibility as per the above Funding Requirements
- Description of why you are interested in the program and what your future career goals are
- Description of your past work and educational experiences
- Include phone and email contact information
- Indicate which program/semester you are interested in
- send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct Entry Foundation Training
Camosun Women in Trades Training offers sponsorship for eligible and selected women in their pursuit of becoming a tradesperson by supporting Foundation training at the college.
To apply for WITT sponsorship for Foundation programming at Camosun College, applicants must have the prerequisites for that particular program. Check the Admission Requirements tab for any Camosun’s Trades Foundation program (pre-apprentice programs) and their respective prerequisites.
For information on trades programs please contact our office:
- Jayna Wiewiorowski, Coordinator
- In person
- Please call for an appointment