Creating valued links
We are here to welcome and serve Indigenous students and local First Nations and Indigenous communities.
The Indigenous Advisory Council
IECC offers programs, courses and services that are constantly changing and evolving to meet the needs of students and communities. The members of the Indigenous Advisory Council provide direction to the college president regarding Indigenous programming, partnership and services at Camosun College, and links with local communities. Founded in 1991, it is the longest continuously-run post-secondary Indigenous Advisory Council in the province. All Indigenous programs at Camosun must be vetted through the Council.
Nella Nelson, Chair, has been with the Council since its inception. Nella is a member of Tsawataineuk Band of the Kwakwaka’wakw Nation. She graduated from Camosun's University Transfer program in 1972 and went on to complete her degrees in anthropology/sociology and secondary education at the University of Victoria. She is the District Coordinator, Aboriginal Nations, for the Greater Victoria School District.
Council meets five times a year and includes members from the following organizations:
- Aboriginal Nations Education, School District 61
- Camosun's First Nations Student Association
- Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council
- Saanich Adult Education Centre, W̱SÁNEĆ School Board
- Songhees Nation
- Victoria Native Friendship Centre
- University of Victoria – both the Faculty of Human & Social Development and the Office of Indigenous Affairs