There are two levels of study you must follow to graduate with a Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanic Foundation: Common core and Specialty core.
What to expect
Located at our Interurban campus, this full-time program is 30 weeks long. Classes are scheduled for five days a week, six hours each day. Your typical day includes theory and lectures in the classroom, with the majority of your time in the shop getting hands-on training. There is an online component for all courses offered within the program.
You'll have the opportunity to work on building mock-ups and operating tools and equipment in real-life situations. By learning how the refrigeration and air conditioning systems operate before you start on installations or repairs, you’ll become a versatile and highly competent trades person.
The Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic Foundation program provides instruction in the theory and practices required to obtain credit for Level 1 apprenticeship in the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic trade. The program is comprised of the following core levels, in order:
- Trades Common Core
- Piping Common Core
- Refrigeration Specialty Core
You'll learn how to:
- Apply safe work practices specific to the refrigeration and air conditioning trade within a variety of work environments.
- Describe the different roles, functions, culture, and characteristics of the pipe trades in relation to other trades.
- Use a variety of tools and equipment to demonstrate their applications, procedures for use, and maintenance.
- Apply organizational skills to facilitate the efficient and accurate completion of work-related tasks and projects.
- Describe the materials and the associated installation procedures.
- Assemble and test basic electrical circuits and components.
- Describe and install a variety of refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
|Course||Course Name||Instructional Hours||Tuition|
|All of||PIPE 110||Trades Core Practicals||150 hours||$577.50|
|PIPE 119||Piping Trades Access||150 hours||$455|
|PIPE 120||Piping Trades Practicals||150 hours||$577.50|
|REFG 130||Refrigeration Trade Specialty||300 hours||$987.50|
|TACC 109||Trades Access Common Core||150 hours||$455|
Note Tuition costs for the current academic year listed above are for domestic students and do not include any additional fees. See the What it Costs page for details.
If you are already in an apprenticeship with an employer sponsor, you may take your required technical training at Camosun on a direct entry basis.