To apply to the Diploma in Music Performance, you'll submit two applications and two application fees.
Formal request for Performance and Theory Assessment must be received at the Music Department office by close of business on:
- February 28 for audition and examination held March 15-April 15
- June 1 for audition and examination held June 5-15
You'll submit two application forms:
The program has three intake deadlines: February 28, April 15 and June 1.
Your VCM application requires a $75 Music Application Fee. See the VCM website for more information.
Submit proof of assessment of:
- Performance: Demonstrated ability on a principal instrument through performance of repertoire and technique in keeping with their expressed professional goals, and give evidence of past music endeavors and personal music habits.
- Aural Theory: Demonstrated ability to match with voice pitches played on the piano, sing basicmelodic intervals, identify by ear basic chords and scales, and express quality of intonation.
- Written Theory: Students will complete a timed test of music theory rudiments at the time of audition (students who have completed MUSF 121 or MUSC 111 with a C grade or higher are exempted from this requirement. This test will survey knowledge of written theory.
- One of:
Some courses in this program will require a C+ in English 12 or English First Peoples 12 as a pre-requisite. Students may enter this program without English 12, but must complete one of the Camosun English courses listed below or successfully complete Camosun’s English assessment to register in all required program courses.
- C in ENGL 092 and ENGL 094
- C in ENGL 092 and ENGL 096
- C in ENGL 091 and ENGL 093
- C in ENGL 103 and ENGL 104
- C in ENGL 142
- C in ELD 092 and ELD 094
- C in ELD 103 and ELD 104
- C in ELD 097
Program participation requirements
Students of portable instruments must provide, transport, store and maintain in optimal working order their own instruments, including reeds, swabs, bows, microphones, cords, amplifiers, power supplies, and related software and hardware and as needed by their chosen courses.
Minimum Music Competency
Many first year Music courses require MUSC 111 as a prerequisite. Students who have completed the test of music theory and have demonstrated fluency with written rudiments in music at First-Class Honours standard in each element on a timed written examination will have met this prerequisite requirement. All other students will be required to upgrade their written theory prior to the beginning of the program or during their first semester of studies.
The Diploma in Music Performance requires that you successfully complete all specified program courses and achieve an overall cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 ("C").
All applications and enquiries concerning enrolment in the program should be directed to:
Assistant Program Director
Victoria Conservatory of Music
900 Johnson Street
Victoria, BC V8V 3N4
Musical skills a bit rusty?
Do you suspect that you will need to upgrade your musical skills before applying to the Diploma in Music Performance?
The Victoria Conservatory of Music – Camosun's partner in music-making – offers a full range of courses with program instructors in voice, instruments, and music theory to give you the personalized assistance you desire to maximize your audition options.
Talk to one of our instructors to consider what's right for you! Voice and instrument programs can be started at any time of year; theory programs begin January, July, and September. Email the VCM for more information.