Stay in community and begin your journey to college and a great career
Before you apply, talk to one of our friendly and knowledgeable Indigenous Advisors to help you plan your educational journey.
Indigenous Human Services Career Access
How to apply
- apply online, or
- download an application form. Completed forms can be faxed, mailed or dropped off at Admissions, or
- pick up a form from Admissions at either campus.
Other supports to consider
Contact the Centre for Accessible Learning if you have a documented disability. They can help arrange services and supports and act as a resource for you and your instructors.
When you apply you will need to submit proof that you meet the following admission requirements.
Tip Where a letter grade is specified, you must have proof of that grade or higher.
|Requirement||High school course||Camosun course||Alternatives|
|English|| || |
|Indigenous Ancestry||This program is open to people of Indigenous Ancestry. Camosun College recognizes any student who is a descendant of Indigenous peoples of North America to be an Indigenous student. This includes status and non-status Indians, Metis, Inuit, and Native Americans living in Canada.|
Upon successful completion of all the required courses, you'll have a seat reserved in the Community, Family & Child Studies' or Indigenous Education & Community Connections' destination program of your choice in the next semester. You will also need to complete any additional non-academic admission or participation requirements specific to the destination program you choose, such as volunteer hours.
Although not requirements for this program, please consider the following:
- you will find a home computer beneficial for your studies
- you will benefit from having basic computer literacy including experience with keyboarding and basic internet search and email skills
- we recommend a TB skin test, Hepatitis B and flu vaccinations if you plan to enrol in one of the Human Services programs. The test and vaccinations are available at local health clinics or through a physician
You will be required to attend orientation on the first day of class or risk losing your seat in the program.
To graduate with a Certificate in Indigenous Human Services Career Access, you must successfully complete:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all of:
- HLTH 111
- HLTH 112 or IST 104
- IFS 100
- COM or DST in all of:
- BEST 041
- IST 118
- IST 119
- LRNS 103
- C or higher in one of:
- ENGL 091 and ENGL 093
- ENGL 092 and ENGL 096
- ENGL 103 and ENGL 096
- Or submit proof of a C+ or higher in English 12 or English 12 First Peoples