Applied and relevant work experience
Graduation from the Bachelor of Business Administration, Human Resource Management & Leadership Major requires successful completion of 40 academic courses plus completion of applied and relevant work experience.
This requirement may be satisfied by completing ONE of the following pathways:
- BUS 101 and BUS 201 through Co-operative Education
- This pathway is appropriate for those new to Human Resources and Leadership and are seeking work experience.
- HRML 499 – Self-directed HRML Work Experience
HRM 499 Course Description:
HRML 499 is a self-directed work experience that provides students an opportunity to apply and expand human resources academic knowledge while employed in paid or volunteer positions and/or projects. It is the responsibility of the student to secure their HRML 499 position or combination of projects.
HMRL 499 Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the BBA Non Co-op Work Experience, a student will:
- Have applied, in a practical setting, skills and knowledge learned in the BBA program.
- Have acquired relevant work experience to enhance his/her competence and employability in the field of concentration.
- Demonstrate professional behaviour appropriate to a working environment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current industry practices, issues and technologies.
Contact Allison Betton, BBA in HR Management & Leadership Major Program Leader, to determine if your proposed work experience will satisfy the HRML 499 minimum requirement of 420 hours.
Download and complete the HRML 499 Job Description Form PDF and include the following:
- Attach the company’s job description/s to the application form. It must be on organizational letterhead and signed by your supervisor/s.
- Identify your position(s) as full-time or part-time and briefly describe the main duties you performed. Please use your own words to describe the position(s) using grammatically correct sentences.
- Provide your signature and your supervisor’s signature verifying the information provided is accurate.
- Identify three to four 300-level & higher BBA courses that you will discuss in your report on how related course content was applied in the workplace.
- Application must be typed and professionally formatted.
Once your work experience has been approved by the Program Leader, submit the signed Prior Learning Assessment Application Form PDF to Registration to register and pay the HRML 499 tuition fees.
Complete and submit the BBA HRML 499 Learning Outcomes Student Report to the Program Leader.
- Describe your success in achieving each HRML learning outcome defined above by identifying, describing and relating specific third and fourth year BBA – Human Resources Management and Leadership courses and relevant business theories as evidence of the specific work related outcomes.
- Use appropriate APA style citations and course textbook references when detailing your experiences, and provide work samples as appendices.
- Be professional and concise in your writing.
Once the Program Leader has reviewed your submitted report, your grade will be entered into Camlink.
Apply your classroom skills in the workplace and bring your workplace skills back to the classroom!