Ready to get started? Apply early, as this program offers seats on a first qualified, first come, first served basis and is only offered once a year, starting in March.
You may apply for this program at any time. It is to your advantage to apply early.
Prospective students must submit proof of:
- Resident Care Attendant (RCA)
- Home Support/Residential Care (HSRC)
- Health Care Assistant (HCA)
- equivalent credential (e.g Registered Nurse (RN) or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN))
Requirements before practicum:
Proof to be submitted by at least 2 weeks previous to start date of practicum
- Standard First Aid Certificate (including CPR Level C)
- Foodsafe Level 1 Certificate
- A TB skin test is compulsory. TB testing must be done within three months of program start and students must provide documentation of this prior to the start of the first practicum or experience with public clients. Students are responsible for the cost of this test. An additional TB skin test is required after each possible exposure to TB and/or travel within an area that there is a known prevalence of TB.
- Students are highly recommended to maintain current immunizations as per the Practice Education Guidelines of B.C. Recommended immunizations can be found at http://www.hspcanada.net/docs/peg/1_3_immunization.pdf. Failure to comply with immunization guidelines could result in the health care organization or the college barring the individual from the clinical setting until proof of immunity is provided and/or until a communicable disease outbreak is declared over. This could impact a student's ability to successfully complete the clinical placement course and/or a clinical/community rotation.
- Criminal Record Check: During this program, you may be working with children and/or vulnerable adults. In order to participate in work integrated learning experiences, such as a practicum or work term, you will need to complete a criminal record check through the Ministry of Justice for Camosun College. Camosun will email you with information on how to complete the Criminal Record Check (CRC) process. You are responsible for all associated costs.
Some employers may also require the following:
- Class 4 Driver's license
- Minimum of one year related work experience
- Successful completion of all courses with a minimum of C+ in 250, 251, 252 and "COM" in 270, 271.
How to apply
The work environment in which the Activity Assistant graduate may be employed requires lengthy periods of time standing and bending; lifting heavy residents; helping residents to stand, sit, walk and exercise; moving furniture and activity equipment. Please consider carefully before applying to this program.
As in most health care professions you may be in close contact with infectious diseases.
If you have significant health challenges please discuss your concerns with your physician and consult with the Program Coordinator.
The flu vaccine is highly recommended and is available at your local health clinic or through your physician.