Second-year nursing students can complete a portion of their program requirements abroad while gaining intercultural skills and global experience.
Students in NURS 190 and NURS 290 may also be interested in the Whitehorse Field School, offering a unique opportunity to experience community health care in a rural setting, and incorporating Indigenous health and healing practices.
New Zealand Field School 2019
The New Zealand field school provides students with the opportunity to explore healthcare within Maori and South Pacific cultures while applying their skills in community clinics and hospital settings. Students will receive training on cultural safety and participate in cultural activities unique to New Zealand.
- Porirua, New Zealand
- May-June, 2019
- Courses offered
- NURS 290 Consolidated Practice Experience 2
- Approx. $5,000
- Cost includes
- Airfare, transportation in New Zealand, accommodation, medical insurance, program-related activities, meals (TBD), welcome and farewell dinner, and operational costs.
- Cost excludes
- Tuition, Camosun Student Society fees, recommended vaccinations and/or medicines, free time activities and personal expenses.
- Shared housing/homestay. Details TBD
- Deadline to apply
- December 5, 2018
- Camosun International Field School Scholarship
- One World International Scholarships
- BCSA Stories from Abroad Study Abroad Scholarship
- Robin Humble HumbleR@camosun.ca
- Sample Schedule
- (coming soon)
“This field school brought forward challenges in my beliefs and values, and I was able to reflect on the differences of practice. I gained a greater understanding and respect for the people of New Zealand and a greater understanding of myself.”
Jasleen Tung, 2016 participant
“Inspired by the Maori and Pacific cultures, which emulate strength and a strong sense of community, this opportunity was a wakeup call to further my knowledge relating to our own local Canadian First Nations people and reflect the significance of cultural safety in my own nursing practice.”
Rosemary Angus, 2015 participant