What Peer Connections helpers do
Peer Connections students provide support to international students in one-on-one or small group meetings. They are trained in confidentiality and helping skills.
Contact our team
The Peer Connections Program helps international students with the challenges they experience.
- Living in a new culture
- Feeling homesick
- Adjusting to college life
- Language barriers
Become a Student Ambassador
Camosun is launching its student ambassador program this fall - join now!
Peer Connections students can provide international students with the following:
- An opportunity to share your experiences and challenges with someone that wants to listen and help
- Conversation, interaction and activities with international and domestic students
- Contacts and resources related to life at Camosun and in Greater Victoria
Provide awareness and information
- Giving presentations and role-plays to students on cultural and personal issues that students might experience.
- Preparing and distributing information related to cultural issues and student life.
Organize and participate in events
- Assist with the International Student Orientations and other Camosun International Events.
- Coordinate activities with other groups at Camosun and in the community of Victoria. Upcoming Events.
How to become a Peer Connections helper
International and domestic students with a willingness to help other students in a friendly and caring manner can apply by:
- Attend an information session.
- Complete the Peer Connections Program Application form (PDF), and send email it to Brian Herron at email@example.com or drop it off at either the Lansdowne or Interurban International Office.
- Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Students in the Peer Connections Program must participate in the helping and interpersonal communication skills training and in two meetings per month.
The benefits of becoming a Peer Connections helper
- develop helping and personal interaction skills
- have opportunities to provide leadership and make a positive contribution to the Camosun community
- have an opportunity to meet and interact with other international students and domestic students on a social and intellectual level