Camosun logo for print

Information • September 15, 2020 8:36 am • Campus libraries to re-open using pandemic model • Read more…

Camosun International

Pre-Departure Guide

What you need to know before you come to Camosun

Victoria, the capital city in the province of BC, is a small, safe city located on Vancouver Island off the west coast of Canada. We have approximately 367,000 inhabitants. Camosun college consists of two large campuses that offer all the services you will need as a student at Camosun. Having applied and received your Letter of Acceptance, this guide will help you get ready to study at Camosun and travel to Victoria, B.C.

Welcome to Camosun!

Apply for a Study Permit

Most international students require a valid post-secondary study permit to study at Camosun. It can take several months to get one, it is important to apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your official Letter of Acceptance.

Important Reminders

  • Apply early to get your study permit on time: it can take several weeks, or even months, for your documents to be processed.
  • It is your responsibility to keep your information with IRCC up-to-date.
    You must ensure your study permit is valid and authorizes you to study at the post-secondary (college or university) level for the dates specified.

Do you already have a Study Permit?

If you are transferring from another Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI), please make sure you have let IRCC know.

Working off-campus

Please consult the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website regarding who can work off campus and how many hours one can work.

All new students should register to attend our on-campus Camosun New International Student Orientation.


Camosun Homestay Program

Living with a local Canadian family is a great way to make Canadian friends, learn about Canadian culture and practice English.

Student Homestay Application forms should be submitted at least six weeks before your classes start.

Private Accommodation

Want to live on your own? There are lots of options available. Learn about renting in Victoria.

Note Camosun College does not have student dormitories.


Money Matters

Canadian Currency

The unit of currency in Canada is the Canadian dollar. There are coins for ¢5, ¢10, ¢25, $1 and $2. Paper notes come in $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. Learn more.

What to bring

We suggest bringing travellers cheques, and a credit card.

Fast facts

  • Do not carry large amounts of cash with you in Canada but bring some Canadian dollars for when you arrive.
  • Tuition fees may be paid with VISA, Mastercard, American Express, JCB International, bank card or a bank draft or through wire transfer.
  • Camosun College is not able to provide any financial assistance to international students. Please be sure that you have enough money to cover your time in Canada.

Opening a Bank Account

When you arrive in Canada, you should open a Bank account at a Canadian Bank. Banks are normally open from 9am-4pm, Monday to Friday; some large banks may be open on Saturdays. Services they offer include: currency exchange (without membership), creating deposit and savings accounts, international wire transfers, loans and credit cards.

It is important to shop around to find the bank that best suits your needs. When you decide, visit the local branch you would like to open an account at and bring your passport, study permit, letter of acceptance or attendance letter from current institution.

There are seven main banks in Victoria, listed on the side of this page.

rbc.jpg coastcapital.jpg TD.jpg Scotia Bank cibc.jpg BMO.jpg HSBC

When should you come?

Please review the important dates calendar to plan your trip to Victoria based on your program start date.

Need an English Placement Test?

For students without the required English level, there is an ESL Assessment during New International Student Orientation (one week before the start of school). The test will help you identify your starting point for your studies at Camosun. If you have any questions, please review your Letter of Acceptance for contact information.

For students with the required English level

If you haven't already, contact a student advisor and register in your class selection.

You must arrive in time to attend the on-campus New International Student Orientation.

Important Travelling Reminders

  • When you go through customs in Canada tell the immigration officer that you are coming to Canada to study. Show them the letter you received from the Canadian Embassy or High Commission confirming that your application for a study permit has been approved. You will receive your study permit at the border crossing booth.
  • Homestay students should notify the Homestay Coordinator of your arrival date at least two weeks before you leave your home country, so your homestay host family can meet you at the airport.

How to get into town

Arriving at the Victoria Airport (YYJ)

Homestay students will be picked up at the airport by their host family.

Other students may wish to take a taxi ($35-65 or more), shuttle bus ($14-16) or public transit ($2.50 exact Canadian change needed).

Public Transit

Victoria has it's own public transit system. When you arrive at Camosun you can go to the library and get your student card, this will act as your bus pass (U-PASS), library and student card. Your bus pass (U-Pass) is included in tuition and fees for most students.

Arriving at the Vancouver Airport (YVR)

If you arrive at the Vancouver Airport you can take a coach bus from the airport directly onto the ferry to Victoria, the same bus can also take you to downtown Victoria.



Personal items

We recommend bringing clothing that you can layer and a variety for all seasons. You will find that the spring and fall can be quite unpredictable - you may need a sun hat and umbrella on the same day. The average temperature in Victoria from winter to summer ranges from 7°C-27°C. That being said, some years it does snow, so please bring a warm winter jacket or be prepared to purchase one here.

People in Victoria are active and enjoy the outdoors. We tend to dress fairly casually on a daily basis.

Packing your luggage

Only small bottles of soap, shampoo, toothpaste and other toiletries need to be packed as they can be easily purchased once you arrive.

For your protection, we recommend that you write down all of the serial numbers for your electronic devices (cameras, laptop, cell phones, etc.) and their estimated value, keep this list with you while travelling.

Electrical plugs

Electricity in Canada is 120 Volts (V), alternating currency (AC). We have 2-prong plus, with the option of a third prong for grounding. You may need to buy plus adaptors for your electronic devices, also transformers can be purchased.


The Canadian Boarder Services Agency has information on which goods you can bring across the boarder and a list of alcohol and tobacco limits.


Preparation List

Six weeks before you arrive

  • If you haven't already applied for the Homestay program, please submit your application now.

Four weeks before you arrive

  • Have you received your confirmation for your study permit from the immigration and arranged your travel to Victoria? Please inform International Admissions.
  • Plan to transfer your money to Victoria, but be sure to carry some money with you.

Two weeks before you arrive

  • Homestay students: you must notify the Housing Coordinator of your arrival date at least two weeks before you plan to arrive, so your homestay family can arrange to meet you at the airport.  The phone number of the Homestay office is +1-250-370-3685, fax +1-250-370-4592 or email to

Preparation/Document List

Please ensure you have all the necessary documents listed below. Please print this list and bring it with you for your records.

  1. The letter you received from the Canadian Embassy or High Commission that shows you are approved for a Study Permit.
  2. Valid passport and official government-issues identification
  3. Camosun official Letter of Acceptance
  4. Transcripts/course descriptions from schools previously attended
  5. Proof of your TOEFL or IELTS scores, if needed
  6. Medical and immunization records (useful, but not required)
  7. Eye examination records and prescriptions and obtain any corrective lenses
  8. Have a dental examination and complete any necessary dental work
  9. Credit card(s)
  10. Marriage licence (if you are married)
  11. Driver's licence or international driver's licence and a notarized translation of your licence if it is not in English.

Do you still have questions?

Get in touch with our office!

Contact Us
Camosun College Lansdowne
3100 Foul Bay Rd
Victoria BC V8P 5J2
Camosun College Interurban
4461 Interurban Rd
Victoria BC V9E 2C1
  • 250–370–3000
  • 1–877–554–7555 (toll-free)

©1996–2020 Camosun College | Victoria BC, Canada | Printed: September 19, 2020 at 8:18 am Change Everything logo for print