Welcome to Camosun College!
We're excited to welcome you to Victoria. Here are some important things to know before you begin your studies.
Camosun International Student Handbook
The Camosun International Student Handbook is your guide to the services and supports available to you as a Camosun student, as well as helpful information about living in Canada.
Most international students require a valid post-secondary study permit to study at Camosun. It can take several months to get one, it is important to apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your official Letter of Acceptance.
Note Camosun College does not have student dormitories.
Camosun’s Homestay program is currently suspended until further notice due to COVID-19. Please check back in the future for more updates.
Want to live on your own? There are lots of options available. Learn about renting in Victoria.
Registering for classes
Camosun International registers you into classes for your first semester based on course availability and the pre-requisites you have on file with us as evaluated by our International Admissions department. A pre-requisite is what you must have before you can start a course.
You are required to have medical insurance while you are studying in Canada.
If you are new to the province of BC:
- For the first 3 months in BC you will need private medical insurance.
- Camosun College registers all new international students for a private insurance called guard.me for the first three months until they become eligible for B.C.'s Medical Services Plan (MSP).
- Guard.me fee will be deducted from your deposit.
- After 3 months – you should be eligible to apply for BC's Medical Services Plan (MSP). See instructions on how to enrol in MSP.
If you already have BC MSP:
- Please bring a copy of your BC Services Card to the New Student Orientation, so we can cancel the guard.me policy. Please do not forget to renew your BC MSP when you extend your study permit.