Camosun logo for print

Information • July 07, 2020 10:19 am • COVID-19 - Fall 2020 athletics season cancelled at Camosun College • Read more…


Information for the Camosun College community

Updated: March 26, 2020

Camosun College will continue to update this FAQ page as new information becomes available.

Questions on transitioning from face-to-face instruction

  • Are there classes on campus? +

    We’ve asked instructors to reach out to classes with transition plans as soon as possible. If you haven’t heard of plans for your course, please follow up directly. Faculty have been asked to be on campus at their class times, available to respond to students who come on campus. We’re working hard to ensure students can complete their courses. Your patience and understanding is appreciated.

  • Will my course be online? +

    Transition will look different for each instructor based on what they teach and learning outcomes need to be met. Instructors are asked to plan the most appropriate alternative delivery method and assessment for their students using their own professional judgement.

  • Will campus services be available? +

    Campus remains open but services and supports have transitioned away from in-person or face-to-face. Information on how to access student services is available at:

  • Why is Camosun still open, why don’t you close? +

    The safety and well-being of our campus community and the health of our broader community is our top priority.

    At this time, public colleges are being encouraged by the provincial government to remain open.

    Camosun is continuing to align with the guidance of public health experts including the Provincial Health Officer and the BC Centre for Disease Control. We are also working with the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training.

  • Are Child Care Services still open? +

    Child Care Services at Camosun College are closed, effective Monday, March 23.

  • Can students access computer labs? + NEW

    Computer labs on both Camosun College campuses are closed effective Friday, March 27 at 4:30 pm.

  • Is there any information about withdrawals and incomplete grades? +

    Students are asked to check the Office of the Registrar web page for the latest information on withdrawals and incompletes during COVID-19.

  • Will there be a summer semester? +
    • Camosun College is working to be sure students enrolled in courses this winter semester are well looked after.
    • Our plan for the summer semester is to deliver as much of our planned schedule as possible, but given public health directives, we will be using online technologies to support course delivery.
    • Scheduling information for students will be made available on Camlink or communicated directly from the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible.
    • Thank you for your patience as we work hard to ensure students can continue with their planned educational goals.
    • We appreciate the patience shown to us by students and also for the hard work and creativity of the college's faculty and staff who are keeping both programs and services available to students.


Camosun College & COVID-19

  • What is novel coronavirus? +

    The BC Centre for Disease Control advises a new coronavirus (novel coronavirus COVID-19) is causing respiratory infections. Please refer to the BC Centre for Disease Control website for the latest information available for British Columbia.

  • What is Camosun College doing? +

    The health and wellbeing of students and staff remains the priority of Camosun College.

    The college’s COVID-19 Response Coordination Team meets daily to monitor the situation and put measures in place to keep the college community safe.

    We are ensuring these measures are aligned with the guidance of the Provincial Health Officer and are working with the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training.

    The college is providing information and regularly updating its frequently asked questions at as well as providing a dedicated email for college-related questions.

    On March 14, the college announced it would be transitioning from face-to-face instruction to alternative instruction and assessment as part of measures to support social distancing.

    To further enhance social distancing, on March 18, we started transitioning student services to phone and other modes of delivery.

    Starting March 18, employees, who are able to do so, are encouraged to work remotely using the tips, guidance and technical advice from the college.

    The college has stopped approving any international work-related travel for the foreseeable future.

    Provided tips for students and employees on how to cope with anxiety and stress related to COVID-19.

    Anyone who is concerned about being exposed to the virus or experiencing systems should call 8-1-1 or phone their primary care provider.

  • Is there a case on Vancouver Island? +

    On March 11, the BC Centre for Disease Control confirmed the first COVID-19 case on Vancouver Island. Currently, there are no reported cases of COVID-19 at Camosun College. The college continues to monitor the situation and follow the advice of regional and provincial public health officials.

  • What can I do to help prevent the virus from spreading? +

    Public health advice:

    • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water is not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub to clean your hands.
    • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
    • Cough or sneeze into your elbow or sleeve.
    • Dispose of tissues appropriately.
    • Avoid contact with people who have symptoms of a respiratory illness.
    • Stay home if you are experiencing symptoms.

  • What are the symptoms of COVID-19? +
    • Fever
    • Coughing
    • Sneezing
    • Difficulty breathing

  • What should I do if I feel sick or suspect I may have COVID-19? +

    If you are concerned you may have been exposed to, or are experiencing symptoms of, COVID-19 please phone your primary-care provider, local public health office or call 8-1-1 for free health information and advice. Tell them your symptoms, where you have been travelling or living, and if you’ve had close contact with a sick person, especially if they have had a fever, cough or difficulty breathing.

    Note: COVID-19 is a global issue, and is not specific to peoples of any one region. Nor is COVID-19 in any way related to race or ethnicity.

  • Can someone spread the COVID-19 virus without being sick? +

    People are believed to be the most contagious when they are sickest. However, asymptomatic transmission is possible.

    Read more about how the virus can be spread and how best to protect yourself on the Health Canada website, the BCCDC website or the CDC website.

  • What happens if I miss classes or work due to illness? +
    • Students – Please contact your (School Office and/or instructor) if you are absent for reasons of illness in order to discuss your options.
    • Employees – Please contact your supervisor, manager, chair, director or dean immediately if you are absent for reasons of illness and follow your normal sick leave protocol as per your contract.

  • Do I need a doctor's note if I need to self-isolate? +

    The college has waived the requirement for a doctor’s note for students and employees who are requied to self-isolate. In such cases, you are required to let your supervisor or school know.

    Self-isolation is required for individuals who have returned from travel outside of Canada or have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.

    A COVID-19 self-assessment tool is available at

  • When should I self-isolate? +

    Self-isolation is advised for individuals who have returned from international travel or have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Check the BC Centre for Disease Control website for the most current information for travellers.

  • How do I self-isolate? +

    Information on how you can self-isolate and avoid contact with others is available on the BC Centre for Disease Control website or the Public Health Agency of Canada website.

  • What is the difference between self-isolation and self-monitoring? +

    Self-isolation is when an individual is directed to remain at home and avoid close contact with others.

    Self-monitoring does not require individuals to stay home; rather, it is self-assessing for flu-like symptoms. Self-monitoring is currently required of all those returning from international travel. It is good practice for all individuals to monitor themselves and their families for flu-like symptoms. If flu-like symptoms develop, contact 8-1-1, your health provider or the public health authority.

  • Will you close the campus if there is a confirmed case in Victoria? +

    Camosun College will follow the lead and direction of local and provincial public health officials.

  • Is there a vaccine? +

    There is no vaccine available to protect against this new disease.

  • How long can COVID-19 live on surfaces? +

    The US Centres for Disease Control states that COVID-19 may live on surfaces anywhere from a few hours to several days depending on the material of that surface.

  • Were any students from Camosun at the dental conference? +
    • Yes. Seven faculty members and 51 students from Camosun attended the Pacific Dental Conference in Vancouver and are now self-isolating until March 22 following a request from B.C.’s Provincial Health Officer.
    • Island Health has said that only people who attended the conference need to self-isolate from the time of the conference until March 22. Anyone who did not attend the conference, even if they have been in contact with a person from the conference, even a partner they live with, do not need to self-isolate unless they have symptoms (cough, fever, body aches, difficulty breathing) and only then should they self-isolate for 14 days. Once self-isolation is completed and people are healthy they can return to regular duties.
    • The dental building has undergone additional cleaning and sanitization including electrostatic spraying as a precautionary measure.



  • If an employee is currently travelling out of Canada and would have been unaware of the travel advisory in advance of their trip, what occurs when they return? +
    • Fourteen days of self-isolation is required based on the provincial direction;
    • The employee needs to contact their supervisor to notify them if they were out of country prior to returning to work.
    • If the employee is not ill (asymptomatic), the employee should discuss options with their workplace leader to see if remote work may be possible.
    • It is recognized that, typically, a support staff employee would not work remotely; however, the College and union leadership are working collaboratively to respond and adapt to these exceptional circumstances for all employees.
    • We will explore appropriate options based on the position’s job duties as temporary measures of remote work due to the trip advisory. It is recognized that this may be possible for some positions and not others. The circumstances will need to be reviewed with the workplace leader and Human Resources.
    • If the employee is asymptomatic and they are unable to work remotely, they would be on a general paid leave. This paid leave will be granted for this purpose until the person is cleared to return to work following the self-isolation period, providing they remain asymptomatic.
    • If the employee becomes symptomatic during this period, then the employee should notify the supervisor and the leave would shift to sick leave and be treated as an illness.  

  • If a student, staff or faculty chooses to travel out of Canada after the announcement made by the B.C. Government, how is the 14 day self-isolation period managed after they return? +
    • Employees should be adhering to the recommendations of the Provincial Health Officer (PHO) including the advice with respect to out of country travel. The health and wellbeing of all our employees is of utmost importance. All employees are obligated to take reasonable care to protect the health and safety of themselves and others in the workplace. They will be required to disclose if they have travelled internationally and the dates of that travel.
    • Employees who travelled out of country after the March 12, 2020 travel advisory are not entitled to pay for the 14 day period of self-isolation. They may have access to vacation or other earned time banks, if applicable, or unpaid leaves of absence available to them. If this arises in your area, please contact your HR Consultant.

  • What happens with employees after the initial sick leave period if the person was either sick or sick and self isolated? +
    • If the medical absence is related to COVID-19 and the employee continues to be ill after their initial sick leave period (* this period is dependent on your employee group) then, the employee would be required to apply for short-term disability benefits. Manulife and the College have a revised process to address COVID-19 absences that does not require the full application process.
    • Please note, the standard application process for short-term disability benefits remains in effect for other medical absences unrelated to COVID-19.
    • An employee who was not ill (asymptomatic) but was instructed by a qualified medical practitioner to self-isolate due to concern that they may have been exposed to the virus would be on a general paid leave, except in circumstances where it is feasible for an asymptomatic employee to work remotely during self-isolation.

  • Manulife has indicated that employees no longer have to complete the same paper work. What are employees required to do? Would they be receiving 100% pay? +
    • In recognition of the increasing pressure on medical clinics and hospitals due to the COVID-19 global health emergency, Manulife has revised the short-term disability application process for COVID-19 related illness and will not, at the outset, require an Attending Physician’s Statement as part of a Short Term Disability claim submission. If an employee’s absence is due to COVID-19 symptoms, a clinical diagnosis of the virus, or a quarantine order, there is a specific application form to be used (see link below.)
    • This is a time-limited exception as we move through the current situation. Payment for the short-term disability benefit remains unchanged at 70% of an employee’s annualized gross earnings and medical clearance is still required in order for an employee to return to work following a short-term disability claim.
    • This is the link to the form that does still need to be completed.

  • Will continuing and term employees continue to receive 100% pay? +
    • Pay will continue for continuing employees and term employees, up to their term end date.
    • Employees who are not eligible for uninterrupted pay may be eligible for employment insurance. The federal government has taken action to waive the one-week waiting period for employees in quarantine or who have been directed to self-isolate so that they can immediately receive EI benefits. Please visit the Service Canada website for further information.

  • Unrelated to travel, if an employee has an absence or anticipated absence related to COVID-19, who do they tell? +
    • Employees need to report any absence or anticipated absence related to COVID-19 directly to their supervisor, or exempt manager if the supervisor is not reachable. Additional information may be requested depending on the situation.
    • Depending on the nature of the absence, the employee may be referred to the Employee Health Advisor.

  • Need counselling assistance? +

    Camosun’s employee and family assistance program provider, Homewood Health, is shifting to telephone-based counselling – see their latest update.

Working Remotely


  • What is social distancing and why is important? +

    Social distancing is a way that we can slow the spread of COVID-19 by limiting close contact with others. Even though we are not sick, we should still keep about two meters (six feet) or the length of a queen-sized bed from one another when we can when outside our homes.

  • How do I practice social distancing? +

    There are many ways to practice social distancing:

    • Limit activities outside your home.
    • Use virtual options to connect with others.
    • If you are out in public, try to keep two metres between yourself and others. 
    • Keep your hands at your side when possible.
    • Stay home when you are sick.
    • Cough into your elbow or sleeve.
    • Avoid social activities in large gatherings.

  • Do I need to cancel planned events? +

    In response to the direction of the Provincial Health Officer, the college is cancelling any indoor or outdoor college gatherings larger than 50 people. This also applies to third-party events on college property.

    Additionally, the COVID-19 Response Coordination Team has made the decision not to hold any college events that involve members of the public. This includes job fairs, info sessions and award ceremonies. The decision takes effect immediately and will be in place until after the Easter long weekend (April 13). The date is subject to further review.

    Employees with questions about specific events should contact their Dean or Director directly.

  • 2020 S’TEṈISTOLW̱ Conference Aug. 25-28 +

    Eyēʔ Sqȃ’lewen: The Centre for Indigenous Education & Community Connections is organizing the 2020 S’TEṈISTOLW̱ Conference set for Aug. 25-28.  Organizers are aware that some potential registrants’ travel plans are being affected by current restrictions due to COVID-19. We are actively monitoring the situation and taking direction from local public health authorities. At present the conference is set to proceed as planned. Updates will be provided on, in the conference’s email newsletter, on it’s website and directly to registrants as changes arise. For any questions about the conference please email:

  • Will Graduation 2020 be impacted? +

    At this time, it is premature to make any decision. The college continues to monitor the situation and will follow the advice of regional and provincial public health officials.

  • What’s the criteria for cancelling college events? +

    In response to the direction of the Provincial Health Officer, the college is cancelling any indoor or outdoor college gatherings larger than 50 people. This also applies to third-party events on college property.

  • Can students come on campus to access WiFi? +
    • At this time, we are not encouraging students to come on campus. It is still important to follow the direction of the Provincial Health Officer around social distancing and avoid close contact with others.
    • The libraries and cafeterias are closed as services are being delivered remotely.
    • Shaw has opened up its Shaw Go WiFi network to everyone. More details are here:


  • Work-related travel info for college employees +

    Following the recommendations on March 12 of the Provincial Health Officer, all work-related travel outside of Canada, including the United States, is suspended.

  • Personal travel +
    • Anyone who travelled outside of Canada after March 12 is required to self-isolate for 14 days upon their return. You cannot return to work or school.
    • Camosun employees who travelled out of country after the March 12, 2020 travel advisory are not entitled to pay for the 14 day period of self-isolation. They may have access to vacation or other earned time banks, if applicable, or unpaid leaves of absence available to them. If this arises in your area, please contact your HR Consultant.


Student Services

Employee Resources

Government Resources:


Contact Us
Camosun College Lansdowne
3100 Foul Bay Rd
Victoria BC V8P 5J2
Camosun College Interurban
4461 Interurban Rd
Victoria BC V9E 2C1
  • 250–370–3000
  • 1–877–554–7555 (toll-free)

©1996–2020 Camosun College | Victoria BC, Canada | Printed: July 7, 2020 at 12:06 pm Change Everything logo for print