Camosun logo for print

Information • October 06, 2020 12:30 pm • Update on student services at Camosun • Read more…


Information for the Camosun College community

Updated: September 11, 2020

Find answers to FAQs related to Camosun College & COVID-19, Student Services, Employees and Co-op and Career Services. We will continue to update these FAQ pages as new information becomes available.

Employee FAQs

Safe Start Camosun - Employee Safety Training & Initial Symptoms Screening

  • What is Safe Start? +

    The college has established a process to streamline the approval and planning of components of courses and programs that need to be delivered on campus.

  • What is the COVID-19 Safety Training? +
    • WorkSafeBC, as part of the COVID-19 returning to safe operation guidelines requires all employers to:
      • “ensure that everyone entering the workplace, including workers from other employers, knows how to keep themselves safe while at the workplace”;
      • “ensure everyone is trained on the measures the employer has put in place and the policies around staying home when sick”.
    • More information and links at WorkSafeBC and BC Centre for Disease Control.
  • Who needs to take the training? +

    All Camosun employees must take the training prior to returning to campus.

  • How do I take the training? +
    • The COVID-19 Employee Safety Training is online and available here.

  • How long does it take? +
    • As with all training, the length of time it takes an individual to complete varies with a number of individual factors. However, the majority of people should expect to complete in less than 30 minutes.

  • Why does the COVID-19 Employee Safety Training include an Initial Self-Assessment Symptoms Screening? +
    • WorkSafeBC requires all employees on campus to complete a COVID-19 Self-Assessment Symptoms Screening form to confirm that they do not have COVID-19 symptoms. The Initial Self-Assessment Symptoms Screening form in the employee training is the first screening that must be done before the employee is permitted to return to campus. After this initial screening, the employee needs to complete a similar COVID-19 Daily Self-Assessment Symptoms Screening form each day before they come to campus.

  • What information does the Initial Self-Assessment Symptoms Screening ask for? +
    • The Initial Symptoms Screening asks employees to respond to yes/no statements about potential risks associated with COVID-19: Have you recently traveled (within the last 2 weeks) outside of Canada? Have you had close contact with someone who has travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days who became ill? Are you currently experiencing any of the following symptoms (fever, fatigue, cough shortness of breath, muscle aches & pains, runny/stuffy no, loss of sense of smell, sore throat, headaches, loss of appetite)?
    • If the employee responds “yes” to any of these questions, they are automatically informed they are not permitted to complete the training nor attend campus at this time and are directed to contact their WPL.
    • The symptoms screening form does not ask the employee to disclose any specific information regarding symptoms or other health related information.

  • What happens to the information from the COVID-19 Employee Safety Training and Initial Screening? +
    • At the end of the COVID-19 Employee Safety training, employees are required to complete a Declaration which acknowledges that they have read and understood the training; that while on campus they will abide by the health and safety recommendations of WorkSafeBC, the BCCDC and the Provincial Health Officer; that they commit to completing a daily screening assessment while on campus; and that they certify that all of the information provided is true. Upon submitting this acknowledgement, the employee’s name, C-number, department and confirmation of declaration is automatically sent via email to Human Resources (
    • This automatic email does not contain any personal health information. Once this email is received, the training completion is associated with the employee’s Colleague record similar to how other mandatory training is retained for employees.
    • No personal health information is tracked or associated with the employee’s Colleague record.

  • Where is the data stored? Who has access to this data? How will the data be used? +
    • The automatic email is stored in Outlook email This email is accessible by the Organization and People Development team. The completion of training is also stored in the employee’s Colleague record, which is accessible to anyone who has authorized access to the employee’s Colleague record.
    • The data will be used solely for the purposes of ensuring our employees and the College are in compliance with WorkSafeBC requirements.

  • What information is there regarding employees who need to take time off work for COVID-19 symptoms? +

  • What is the process for approval for Courses to return to campus? +
    • A small number of employees are returning to campus at this time.
    • Safe Start Camosun has a process for approval for employees and programs to return to campus. If you are uncertain about whether you are approved to return to campus, please talk to your Workplace Leader.

    Please note:

    • Camosun’s Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) assessments are currently focused on ensuring learning spaces are ready for students over the summer and fall and therefore, most common workspaces have not yet undergone an OHS safety assessment and are not ready to receive employees.
    • Facilities may require that alternate spaces be used to avoid unnecessarily spreading activity across multiple spaces and as some internal areas of buildings are closed off following high-intensity cleaning. Faculty offices remain accessible.
    • Employees are required to follow the advice of the BC Centre for Disease Control and the Provincial Health Officer, including physical distancing and hand hygiene.
    • Any employee with symptoms such as fever, cough, sore throat or sneezing needs to stay home

Safe Start FAQs for Faculty

Additional Safe Start FAQs

Meeting with colleagues NEW

Miscellaneous FAQs for employees

  • Working from home and T2200 tax form +

    For Camosun College employees who have been asked to stay home during the COVID-19 pandemic, there are questions about the cost to maintain a home workspace and equipment, and the supplies needed to carry out their work remotely.  Employees have asked if they will be eligible to claim employment expenses on their 2020 income tax form.

    Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) form T2200 Declaration of Conditions of Employment is completed by the employer to certify that an employee is required to work from home and that any employment expenses not reimbursed by the employer may be claimed on their annual tax return.

    In normal times, most Camosun College employees do not qualify to claim employment expenses because the College provides the workspace and necessary equipment and supplies.  However, expenses incurred by employees during the 2020 “stay home” directive may be eligible when filing a tax return for the 2020 calendar year required by April 30, 2021.  

    While the CRA has not announced any special tax provisions due to the pandemic, we expect that this will be addressed by the Canadian government.  The CRA is currently focused on the emergency subsidy programs and the safety of their own employees.

    In the meantime, Camosun College employees should retain receipts of all purchases necessary to perform their duties remotely. Employees should also familiarize themselves with the tax rules per CRA guidelines for what are considered eligible home office expenses and calculation requirements.

    The College will continue to monitor announcements from the CRA on this matter and provide updates to the College community when received.

  • What happens if I miss work due to illness? +

    Employees – Please contact your supervisor, manager, chair, director or dean immediately if you are absent for reasons of illness and follow your normal sick leave protocol as per your contract.

  • Do I need a doctor's note if I need to self-isolate? +

    The college has waived the requirement for a doctor’s note for students and employees who are requied to self-isolate. In such cases, you are required to let your supervisor or school know.

    Self-isolation is required for individuals who have returned from travel outside of Canada or have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.

    A COVID-19 self-assessment tool is available at

  • What happens with employees after the initial sick leave period if the person was either sick or sick and self isolated? +
    • If the medical absence is related to COVID-19 and the employee continues to be ill after their initial sick leave period (* this period is dependent on your employee group) then, the employee would be required to apply for short-term disability benefits. Manulife and the College have a revised process to address COVID-19 absences that does not require the full application process.
    • Please note, the standard application process for short-term disability benefits remains in effect for other medical absences unrelated to COVID-19.
    • An employee who was not ill (asymptomatic) but was instructed by a qualified medical practitioner to self-isolate due to concern that they may have been exposed to the virus would be on a general paid leave, except in circumstances where it is feasible for an asymptomatic employee to work remotely during self-isolation.

  • Manulife has indicated that employees no longer have to complete the same paper work. What are employees required to do? Would they be receiving 100% pay? +
    • In recognition of the increasing pressure on medical clinics and hospitals due to the COVID-19 global health emergency, Manulife has revised the short-term disability application process for COVID-19 related illness and will not, at the outset, require an Attending Physician’s Statement as part of a Short Term Disability claim submission. If an employee’s absence is due to COVID-19 symptoms, a clinical diagnosis of the virus, or a quarantine order, there is a specific application form to be used (see link below.)
    • This is a time-limited exception as we move through the current situation. Payment for the short-term disability benefit remains unchanged at 70% of an employee’s annualized gross earnings and medical clearance is still required in order for an employee to return to work following a short-term disability claim.
    • This is the link to the form that does still need to be completed.

  • Unrelated to travel, if an employee has an absence or anticipated absence related to COVID-19, who do they tell? +
    • Employees need to report any absence or anticipated absence related to COVID-19 directly to their supervisor, or exempt manager if the supervisor is not reachable. Additional information may be requested depending on the situation.
    • Depending on the nature of the absence, the employee may be referred to the Employee Health Advisor.

  • Need counselling assistance? +

    Camosun’s employee and family assistance program provider, Homewood Health, is shifting to telephone-based counselling – see their latest update.

College Plans for the Months Ahead

  • What are Camosun’s plans for course delivery in the coming months? +
    • The health and safety of our students and employees is the main concern.
    • Due to COVID-19 health considerations and guidance from the Provincial Health Officer, we are planning for a mix in the delivery of courses.
    • Courses that can be delivered remotely will continue.
    • Courses that require students to come on campus will be delivered in a way that is safe for students and employees.
    • Priority will be given to courses that allow students to finish off winter courses, courses starting this summer and then looking at courses planned to take place in the fall.

  • What is Safe Start Camosun? +
    • Safe Start Camosun is the process that has been established to streamline the approval of courses and programs that need to be delivered on campus. The approval process consists of four main stages:
      • Stage 1: On Campus Course Approval;
      • Stage 2: On Campus Assessment and Plan Development;
      • Stage 3: Plan Execution and Readiness; and,
      • Stage 4: Education and Service Delivery, and Ongoing Health and Safety Adherence.
    • All on campus course delivery requires express approval and planning. There is no exception.

  • How will Camosun accommodate applied, hands-on classes? +
    • Typically, for applied programs, theory is delivered remotely and students will be permitted to come on campus in small groups once approved.
    • We will follow the guidelines from the Provincial Health Officer, WorkSafe BC and the B.C. Government to ensure the safety and well being of students and employees.
    • Actions could include, for example, physical distancing, PPE, modified learning and workplaces with signage, linage and plexiglass barriers in addition to smaller class sizes and enhanced cleaning.

  • Has enrollment been affected? +
    • There’s been about a 10 percent decline in overall summer enrollments.
    • It is too soon to predict fall enrollment numbers.

  • Do I need to wear personal protective equipment, such as face masks or gloves, for components of classes being delivered on campus? +
    • Camosun is working through an extensive process to determine how to carefully and thoughtfully bring small groups of students and faculty on campus for applied educational programming.
    • In some circumstances, personal protection equipment (PPE) may be identified as necessary for specific courses or programs as part of the readiness requirements.
    • We believe most health and safety obligations and standards will be met through appropriate physical distancing.

Parking & Transportation

  • Given that most employees are now working remotely, will there be an adjustment to the taxable benefit of parking? +
    • Effective May, parking as a taxable benefit will be removed for all staff until August 31.
    • A decision will be made about fall at a future date.
  • What is the status of pay parking at both campuses? +

    Pay parking resumes at regular rates in lots at both campuses starting July 1.

    Daily, weekly, and monthly parking permits can be purchased at the Robbins parking meters on campus with each lot. The meters also accept cash (coins) and all major credit cards. Monthly passes can also be purchased directly from Robbins Parking. For questions about payment and meters please contact Robbins Parking at 250-382-4411.

    For a touch free experience, Camosun has partnered with Honk Mobile for a convenient pay by app option. With the app, users can: access directions to the lot, pay for their parking spot, receive alerts when time is almost up and easily purchase additional time. The app is available for both iOS and Android devices.

    Please note that parking rates and services are in effect Monday to Saturday, 7am - 10pm. Staff and short-term lots are available for general use after 5 pm with the purchase of a parking permit. Overnight parking is not allowed.

    Parking is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Parking spaces cannot be guaranteed or reserved. Staff parking reminder--as always please display proper staff parking permit while on campus.

    For more details and to download the Honk Mobile app, please visit:

COVID-19 Safety Plan

The most current copy of the college’s COVID-19 Safety Plan is available here.

Contact Us
Camosun College Lansdowne
3100 Foul Bay Rd
Victoria BC V8P 5J2
Camosun College Interurban
4461 Interurban Rd
Victoria BC V9E 2C1
  • 250–370–3000
  • 1–877–554–7555 (toll-free)

©1996–2020 Camosun College | Victoria BC, Canada | Printed: October 22, 2020 at 12:12 am Change Everything logo for print