Whether a bike is your primary mode of transportation to Camosun or you are a novice rider, we want to help make cycling a convenient, safe and efficient option for you to get to Camosun.
Outdoor Bike Racks
There are hundreds of bike racks throughout our bike-friendly campuses. Please do NOT bring your bike into buildings or lock it to trees, signs, handrails, or other non-bike rack furnishings. Your bike will be removed and impounded as a result.
Always lock your bike carefully and securely! As with all college campuses, bike theft can be a problem. You can dramatically increase the security of your bike by following these simple steps:
- Always use a U-lock or heavy-gauge chain (cable locks are not enough!)
- Make sure to lock your bike through a portion of its frame
- Secure quick-release wheels with your lock or an added cable
- Remove all detachable accessories including lights, bags, etc.
Secure Bike Parking
Secured bike parking is now available at both Lansdowne and Interurban campus for $5.50/month. This rental can be arranged through the bookstore. Many students, faculty and employees have been involved with the development of this secured bike parking:
- Sheet Metal and Fabrication Foundation Program Instructor David Meek and his students fabricated, welded, sandblasted and painted the bike hangers
- Visual arts instructor Ralph Stanbridge
- Student artist Christine White, who designed and painted the mural on the facility
Individual Bike Lockers
Through the sponsorship of Robbins Parking, Camosun will be offering two secure bike lockers for use at its Lansdowne Campus. Lockers are made from recycled plastic, and provide a personal, covered and waterproof enclosure to keep your bicycle.
Lockers are available for Camosun students or employees and are for the storage of bicycles and commute accessories only. Lockers are rented on a first-come, first-served basis.
To register to use a bike locker, fill out the registration form at the Lansdowne bookstore (Fisher Building) and make a payment or call (250) 370-3080.
Prices are as follows:
- Monthly: $15.00 (plus 5% GST)
- 4 Months: $60.00 (plus 5% GST)
Bike Fix-it Stations
The bike fix-it stations on each campus make it easy for anyone to keep rolling with a basic repair stand, durable air pump, and basic tools. A hanger arm allows for suspending your bicycle from the saddle so your wheels and pedals can spin freely while making adjustments.
Camosun provides a self-serve bicycle fix-it station at central locations at both Interurban (near the basketball court) and Lansdowne (near the covered bike parking area). The stands have all the tools you need to perform basic repairs and maintenance.
Also, for when you need a little extra assistance, use your smartphone to scan the Quick Read (QR) code on the front of each fixit stand. A database of repairs pops up with detailed instructions for your fix, so you can get back on the road quickly.
Showers & Change Rooms
Students and employees have free access to change rooms, showers and day use lockers. Towel service is also available for small monthly fee ($6 per month or $15 for 3 months).
Looking for a secure place to keep your stuff? You can rent lockers at convenient locations throughout campus. The monthly locker rental fees are:
- Full size - $8.50 per month
- Half size - $6.50 per month
- Third size - $5.50 per month
Visit the Bookstore to rent a locker.
Intercampus Cycling Maps & Routes
- North Dairy, Cloverdale, Galloping Goose, Interurban Rd PDF
- UVIC, Mt. Doug, Royal Oak, Markham Rd PDF
- McRae, Browning, Cedar Hill Golf Course, TCH, Interurban
Through the Transportation and Parking unit of Ancillary Services, many initiatives have been undertaken as part of Camosun's Transportation Demand Management efforts.
The ultimate goal is to reduce the number of single occupancy vehicles coming to campus. Cycling is one alternative that more and more students and employees are choosing.
You can get involved in cycling events like Bike to Work Week (May/June) or the Nasty November Cycling Challenge. Consider starting your own cycling club or group ride at Camosun. Want more information? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org