Working in a fun, safe environment with colleagues from across the college, the ISW is a peer-based workshop designed to improve teaching practice.
Practice your skills in a friendly environment
The essential idea behind the ISW is to give educators a chance to practice teaching in a friendly environment. In a supportive atmosphere, participants have a chance to try new teaching approaches and to sharpen existing skills. During the workshop, they design and conduct three “mini-lessons” and receive verbal, written and video feedback from their peers.
The success of this program relies on the active participation and collaboration of all participants who, as a team, work together to support each other in enhancing their teaching effectiveness. A certificate of completion is awarded to each participant.
What teaching skills will participants learn?
- How to design a lesson plan that contains clearly defined steps to improve the clarity of lessons
- How to write learning outcomes
- Active learning strategies
- The reflective process
- Learning and teaching styles
- Assessment techniques that can be used immediately in the classroom
- How to work effectively in groups
- How to give and receive constructive feedback
- Increased confidence as an educator!
A typical ISW includes
- A review of important concepts in group teaching situations, such as planning a lesson, increasing participatory learning and providing feedback to students
- The opportunity to teach three short lessons in a group setting, and to receive constructive feedback from facilitator and peers
- Sessions on a variety of teaching and learning topics such as learning styles, questioning skills, classroom activities and evaluation of student learning
- Role modeling of teaching styles by workshop facilitators
Why participate in an ISW?
It is an opportunity to:
- Work closely with peers and facilitators from across disciplines to reflect upon and improve your teaching
- Practice a variety of instructional techniques in a supportive atmosphere
- Receive valuable feedback immediately following your teaching
- Recharge your batteries