Registration opens in December 2018.
Hosted by Camosun College, this event usually occurs in May, every second year, at the Honeymoon Bay Lodge & Retreat Centre which is located near Lake Cowichan, BC.
For over 25 years, college educators representing a wide variety of subject matter areas and teaching experience have gathered in locations throughout North America for this four day long, intensive seminar. It is a unique opportunity to learn about and reflect on the teaching challenges faced by educators in post-secondary institutions. The format, which is minimally structured, evolves from an ongoing assessment of the participants’ needs as the seminar progresses.
Learn from other faculty
Seminar participants engage in a learning process of shared information and experiences, self-reflection, and action planning as they explore a variety of teaching strategies, innovations, instructional challenges and solutions brought to the seminar by the participants. The seminar is built on the philosophy that one of the most powerful forms of professional development for faculty is faculty learning from one another.
Striving to be great
The theme underlying all seminar activities is the quest to identify the nature of the ‘Great Teacher.’ As in any quest, the questers learn much about themselves. The seminar is not meant to be a ‘reward’ for accomplished teachers; it is not limited to the already ‘great’; rather, it is designed to appeal to those who are striving to be great.
- celebrate good teaching
- inspire faculty to venture beyond the limits of their own specializations and environments in search of transferable ideas and the universals of teaching
- discover realistic, creative approaches to teaching and learning
- promote introspection and self-appraisal by providing a supportive environment in which participants may seriously reflect on their attitudes, methods and behavior as teachers
- stimulate the exchange of information and ideas by building an expanding network of communication among teachers in higher education
- renew the commitment to student learning
May 7-10, 2019 in Lake Cowichan, BC
Registration opens in December 2018
Seminar participants, 2015