The Acceptable Technology Use Policy outlines the principles and expectations of safe practice for students and college guests, ensuring that computing systems and college networks are used in a safe and secure environment.
The draft policy consultation for the Acceptable Technology Use Policy has now closed. The college is currently incorporating feedback and finalizing the policy. Stay tuned for further updates!
Questions? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This policy outlines the core principles and expectations of safe practice for students and guests of the college to ensure that computing systems and the college network function at optimal levels within a safe and secure learning environment.
The Acceptable Technology Use policy applies to students and guests at the college. Policy and guidelines for acceptable use of technology resources by Camosun College staff are outlined as part of the Standards of Conduct.
Key Elements of this Policy
- Definition of Network Misconduct â€“ or unacceptable use/usage of college systems and resources
- Parameters of incidental personal use of technology resources
- Accessing and usage of social networking sites
- Institutional monitoring of activity while on the college's network
- Support for academic freedom and intellectual exploration using technology as an important part of the teaching and learning experience.
Policy Development Process and Timelines
Camosun College's previous acceptable computer and e-mail use policies were written in the early 2000s. Since this time, not only have there been significant advances in technology, but the role of technology in teaching and learning and how learners and guests interact with the college has also substantially evolved. Such changes have included:
- advances in the computing technology available on campus for student use;
- the rise of social networking sites for communication and information sharing;
- the introduction of mobile and personal device usage within the college network;
- the development of a network for guests at the College;
- and the corresponding growth of support services available through Information Technology Services.
To ensure the college's updated Acceptable Technology Use policy reflects our collective intents and current leading practice, the Education Policy team has undertaken the following in preparing this policy draft:
- review of leading practice on acceptable use policies from other post-secondary institutions
- review of relevant legislation and applicable laws
- review of current technology services at the college and potential future services
- creation of a college working group, with representation of key stakeholders from across Camosun
- Engagement with the Student Policy Advisory
The process and timelines for policy development are as follows: