Education Council warmly welcomes all members of the college community (students, staff, faculty and administration) to become involved in this legislated governance council that sets the educational direction for Camosun College.
Nominations wll open in March 2018.
As an elected member of the council you will first and foremost represent the college and its learners; however you will bring a unique experience from your area of work or study to ensure we have strong diversity of ideas and opinions. Council members will normally be expected to:
- Carry out the responsibilities as mandated under the College and Institute Act
- Verify that the College curricula has met College Standards to ensure academic excellence
- Actively engage, debate, and be informed of the business brought before Education Council
- Volunteer to serve on Sub-Committees and Ad-Hoc Committees when requested.
- Attend all meetings and retreats on a regular basis, and when attendance is not possible inform the Permanent Secretary.
Students, staff, and faculty are elected to the council. Election of Education Council normally occurs at the end of March, beginning of April, annually. Bi-elections for vacant seats are held in late fall or during the normal election period. The election schedule for a particular year is prepared by the Registrar or designate and is sent to each constituent group prior to the election period. A notice is also posted on CamNews.
Administration are appointed to the council by the President.
"Being a member of EdCo gave me the opportunity to really understand the full scope of what all we do here at the College – it took me out of my own discipline and School and let me learn about other amazing things that we can learn and teach."