Camosun logo for print

Stay safe on and off campus with security tips for studying, walking, cycling, or driving, and explore community safety resources.

Studying safely

  • Study in groups or stay around others - avoid isolated classrooms, stairwells, doorways, and locker alcoves in areas of the campus that are not well-populated.
  • Set up a buddy system on the floor you are working on; keep in regular contact.
  • Try to work in an area where you have access to a phone in case you need to call for assistance.
  • Do not wear a personal stereo system or play music so loudly that you are not aware of your surroundings.
  • Immediately report any suspicious individuals in the area to the Department of College Safety at 370-3057 / 370-4043. If you are in the Library, tell a staff member.
  • If possible, lock the door of your work area to keep unwanted visitors out.

Pedestrian safety

  • Stay in well-lit areas. Walk midpoint between curbs and buildings, try to keep from using alleys or less-travelled routes between buildings, and avoid bushes.
  • Stay near people and avoid taking short cuts alone through vacant lots and other deserted places.
  • Carry only necessary cards and money.
  • Do not stop to provide strangers with directions or information, especially at night.
  • Walk with someone else whenever possible and set up a buddy system with your friends.
  • If you suspect you are being followed, be suspicious. Keep looking behind you so the person knows you cannot be surprised. Cross the street or change direction. Go to a well-lit area, enter a building, go to the library or anywhere there are people and phones. Notice and remember as much as possible. Report the incident to the Manager, Department of College Safety at 370-3057 / 370-4043.
  • Do not wear a personal stereo system or play music so loudly that you are not aware of your surroundings.

Cyclist safety

  • Try to park your bike in a well-lit area. What looks good in the daylight may not be adequately lit at night. If you must park your bike in a poorly lit area, call the Walk Safer Program for an escort or walk with a friend.
  • Make sure your bike is securely locked before leaving it for the day. If you have a quick release seat, take it with you to class.

Driver safety

  • Don't mark your key chain with your name, address, and/or license number.
  • Remember to keep vehicle doors locked and windows rolled up.
  • If someone tries to get in, drive off immediately. If this is not possible, use your horn to draw attention to what is happening.
  • As you approach your car, have your keys ready. Before entering the car, check the back seat.
  • Consider your surroundings. Well lit, busy places are obviously the best places to park. If you have to park in a poorly lit area, or have to walk some distance to and from the car, have someone walk with you, if possible.
  • Arrange for a walking escort from the Walk Safer Program.
  • Report suspicious activity to the Manager of College Safety at 370-3057 / 370-4043.
  • If you need emergency assistance on campus call 370-3075, off campus call 911.
  • If you need non-emergency assistance, call the Department of College Safety at 370-3057 / 370-4043.

Obscene or abusive telephone calls

  • Stay silent—don't talk with the caller. Hang up the phone normally rather than slamming it down if the caller does not say anything or as soon as obscenities are uttered.
  • If you receive the call on campus, immediately report the call to College Safety at 370-3057 / 370-4043.
  • If you receive the call off campus, inform your phone company, and ask them about service options for tracing calls or having an unlisted number.

Community safety resources

Need Crisis Line

24-hour emotional support, crisis intervention, and community resource information.
Phone: 250-386-6323.

Victoria Male Survivors of Sexual Assault Society

Individual and group therapy for male survivors of sexual assault.
Phone: 250-381-0493.

Victoria Women's Sexual Assault Centre

Guaranteed confidential counselling, information (police/legal/medical), advocacy, accompaniment (police/legal/medical), referrals, criminal compensation, and third-party reports.
24-Hour Crisis Line: 250-383-3232
Business Line: 250-383-5545.

Victim Services (Greater Victoria Police)

Short-term emotional support for victims of crime and trauma, and referral.
Phone: 250-995-7351.

Women's Transition House

Support for women survivors of abuse.
Phone: 250-385-6611.

Last updated: April 26, 2010 10:04 am

Contact Us
Camosun College Lansdowne
3100 Foul Bay Rd
Victoria BC V8P 5J2
Camosun College Interurban
4461 Interurban Rd
Victoria BC V9E 2C1
  • 250–370–3000
  • 1–877–554–7555 (toll-free)

©1996–2018 Camosun College | Victoria BC, Canada | Printed: January 17, 2018 at 2:04 pm Change Everything logo for print